• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wrap trap installation questions?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I just got a wrap trap for my Bronco. I am still working on my Bronco at this point, most of the body is done and the tub, doors and tailgate are on the frame. I have a 3.5" WH lift with their 1" body lift mounts in place. I want to install the wrap trap and longer spring perches to correct the pinion angle before I install my fuel tank and other things later on down the road. I have a heavy cage, 23 gallon tank and will build a heavy rear bumper with tire carrier and jerry can holder I will install later as well. The 435 and dana 20 are installed but no motor yet. It will have a soft top.
My question is : can I figure out how much that stuff weighs and put that much weight in the Bronco to simulate that so I can install the wrap trap. Does it really matter or is there enough adjustment in the bar to compensate for some movement of the suspension as far as rolling weight goes?
I tried to read some posts about it but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'm in your boat sorta. I'm building a knock-off wrap trap, sorry Paul. I welded 2x3 square tubing along the back of my frame with a bushing bracket. I have the two brackets that fit on top of the rear axle, along with some beef-up plates. On the frame side I'll use a poly bushing kit (http://www.barnes4wd.com/34-Forged-Poly-Joint_p_721.html) but on the axle is where it gets tricky as I have thousands of options (poly joint, heims, rod ends, etc.) such as one of Dans kits (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...&Product_Code=78X78HS&Category_Code=78REPARTS). I can't weld the brackets to my axle till I figure out which end to use bc of the various widths. The part I'm not too worried about is the DOM length. I'll purchase a 36" stick and keep it to the side till I get the brackets squared away. Once I get the brackets and rod end/ poly bushing in place I'll triple measure the tubing I will weld the threaded tube adaptor. At that point the DOM tube can be adjusted in and out just like your WH wrap trap. I've seen some install a couple of bags of cement or play sand but I don't see where that changes it all that much, at most an inch if that. That inch can be adjusted back and forth from either the axle side or up by the frame mount. I've also seen people use PVC pipe to get the right length. Post some pics, I'd love to follow your install.
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 44

Swerve

You should be close to ride height when installing since the bushings need to seat into the bracket that attaches to the frame at a good angle. I used a bunch of weight, but Paul at Wild Horses said to use ratchet straps to pull down to ride height...ratchets straps made easy work of it! Thanks Paul!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad that worked!
If you can do that too langester, you can pull the rear suspension down to approximately 9.5" between the top of the axle housing and the bottom of the frame rail.
Even given the variations between Broncos even from the factory, that should put you more than close enough to do your install.

Thanks Swerve.

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks Guys!
I will give the ratchet straps a shot. Never even crossed my mind.

Have a good one!