• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wrong radiator or hose?

chriskent85

So I bought the 66-77 silicone 302 radiator hoses from dufftuff and I dont think they are right. I have brand new aluminum radiator that has upper driver side and lower pass side in/oulet. The hoses looks like its meant for both driv side in/outlet. Am I doimng something wrong or is this not the correct kit for my truck. I know im gonna have to add and splice my upper hose to go around my a/c compressor but my main concern is the lower one.

IMG_20170515_105239794_zpsyi7689bm.jpg

radiatorhosekitsilicone.jpg

HD_Radiator.jpg

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Those hoses are for a stock Bronco cooling configuration, while your radiator is stock, your water pump lower hose is exiting on the drivers side. The stock Bronco water pump exits on the passenger side. I suspect you have a serpentine pump that's made to turn the other direction, that's why it exits on the drivers side. What front dress system is that?

Mark

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Your thermostat housing appears to be non stock. The stock one comes out towards the engine. It looks like you have a mustang housing which points up.

Stock hose will not woke with the mustang housing.

What's the engine out of? It appears to be a late model engine with reverse rotation water pump based on the inlet.

Tim

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Since your running V-Belts the water pump you are using is the wrong rotation and its outlet is in the wrong place. You need the early stock 289-302 water pump. You will need to check the pump length to work with your non stock pulleys. As said before you need to change the water neck on your intake manifold to work with the stock type hoses to fit your stock location radiator. Even that is a big issue as the stock hose wont work around your air conditioning compressor. your stock hose may work with a cut in the hose and a piece of tubing inserted but only you can judge that.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Once you get the upper water neck changed, try a Dayco 81491 hose. It's a bit longer than stock and is a "flex" hose. I'm running one on my 351W with 96 van front dress and A/C delete pulley. After some trimming, it worked for me.

Heck, you might try he Dayco hose with the neck you have. Never know it might flex and fit.

Tim

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

well shoot. I really didnt want to pull the front of this thing apart again. oh well
thank you guys

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Sorry for that but its allot easier now than once you stuff it in the truck.

If you look at the last couple of pictures of post 1 on this link you will see what your getting yourself into with the air compressor.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235995

Other people have installed air compressors and I would probe for solutions from them before you start cutting things up. A different choice of radiator may make this easier. but either way you have to get the proper water pump to work with V-belt rotation.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I think you need to change the WP and the T-state housing (90 back to the 45 degree) back to stock to get the hoses to work if the hood will clear the hose. But you most likely will need a larger crank pulley to keep the engine cool. imo :)

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

can someone help me out and let me know if this is a standard rotation timing chain cover.

IMG_20170516_095247222_zpsnth2vxoy.jpg

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
It could be, buy the STD rotation pump and use the gasket to check. You can also compare the new pump to see if the old pump has the same impellors. My guess is your old pump will be (reverse) CCW rotation but we have both CW and CCW that has the hose on either side.

OP
OP
C

chriskent85

I have an electric fan and shroud im gonna be running on it. Both CW and CCW have the same bolt patterns but the water jackets are facing different ways. I ask because All the CW timing covers I see on line are just like mine. All the CCW timing covers the jackets face another way. But the previous owner must have just replaced the pump and left the CW timing cover on with a CCW pump.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
That would be my guess also but if you go buy a CW pump you can compare or just replace and be sure. We sell a CCW pump that fits the stock housing and the water inlet can be on either side so the pump you have now could be either CW or CCW.