• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

You ever have one of those days when your Bronco runs you over?

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Let me start out by saying today has turned into a living nightmare for me, I should have stayed inside and watched Netflix all day or something other than go into the garage to clean the bronco...
My wife left for work and I figured since I cleaned the engine bay up last week I would clean the underside up today and get the dirt off the rear Ford 9". Well, the sun is shining for once out here in the Willamette Valley so I figured instead of washing the underside in the garage I would roll the Bronco outside and clean the soft top as well. Now just to clear things up, I don't have a working E-brake on my Bronco, and I don't even have the E-brake cables anymore. I just normally slap the Bronco into 1st and put a wheel chock under the rear wheels but I didn't use a wheel chock today %) My driveway is on a slope and goes down to my barn which has open sides to the 7 acre field, anyways, I'm standing behind the Bronco washing the rear tire carrier when all of the sudden the Bronco starts rolling and knocks me down on the ground and literally rolled right over the top of me and kept rolling right through my neighbors wire fence that keeps his cows in :eek: I get up right as the Bronco rolled into a tree and stopped and look myself over before running down to the Bronco. Didn't even get a scratch, my nose hit the front differential and one of the tires smashed my right foots big toe but it's fine surprisingly.
3 hours later, I've tried to contact my neighbor with no luck so I left a note with my number. I've fixed the fence as best as possible, but the electric wire stopped working so I must have grounded something out. As for the Bronco, I had the driver side soft door open and it got ripped off when it swiped a tree but luckily no real damage was done and I've fixed it and have it re-installed on the rig plus now it fits even TIGHTER to the soft top now than before which isn't a bad thing. And the fence scratched the paint on the rear tire carrier.. ughh, time for a beer and to wait for my neighbor to get home ;D

Techstudent

Loc.
Missoula
I get kind of excited when that stuff happens and I manage to come out of it ok! Seems to break up the monotonous routine and let you know you're alive! :cool:

ericwilkison

Loc.
Portland
I've had one of those days. Several years ago I was working on my '67 Mustang. I had pulled the front wheels up on to a set of ramps so I could get under it. For some reason I did not put it in gear, or set the parking brake, or put a chock under the wheel. I'm slid under directly behind the drivers front wheel. While under there I pull hard on my wrench to torque down a bolt. As I'm doing this I feel the car start to roll back. I shot out from under the car quicker than I have ever moved! As I was sliding out and the car was rolling down the ramps my forehead got a nice big scrap from rubbing against the tire. To say I was lucky to not have crushed my skull that day is an understatement!

The car ended up rolling down the driveway and stopping when it bumped into the curb on the other side of the street, so no damage. However, explaining the huge bright red mark on my forehead to my wife when she got home was a little embarrassing.

I did however receive three sets of wheel chocks from three different people as gifts the next christmas. :)

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
glad it wasn't any worse,good thing you have 35's and are on the lean side.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Lol, thanks Mike! I'm glad I'm okay too, just pissed about the neighbors wire fence since he just put it up not too long ago

Can't let anything happen to our resident Unevent photographer. I guess it's time to mend fences with your neighbor.....

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Might be time to make the parking brake work again. Well, yesterday might have been a better time to do that.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Glad you're ok! I'll be mailing you a brick to put behind a tire until you get your e-brake fixed:cool:

SHX669

Bronco Guru
That's what you get for trying to clean off the dirt/mud. :)
Glad you didn't get hurt but you might feel something in the morning.
SHX

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Lucky man, might be a good day to play the lottery!:)

That's exactly what my neighbor just told me. He wasn't mad at all thankfully, we drank a beer and talked about what he wanted me to fix. Sounds like I'll be replacing just the one side which isn't too much and all I did to the electric wire was trip the GFCI.
I'll be installing an e-brake soon!

BroncoLuva

Glad you're OK, you have a guardian angel.

I was winching a '64 Falcon Sprint onto a trailer when right at the highest point the rope I was using broke. It takes off down the ramps and I'm running beside it frantically trying to catch the e-brake through the window before we both go through a bank's big plate glass windows. Probably quite a show for the customers in line. Bruised ego was all, made me a lot safer now (sorta).

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Wow what a crazy story. I'm glad you were not injured any more than you were. I need to get my e-brake fixed too. Now I may do it even sooner.

Henry

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
Well, I figured I'd share my story now that I know I'm not the only one ;D About 10 years ago, I was making a late night run through the drive thru at Jack N the Box for some Jalapeno Poppers, and an Ultimate Double Cheeseburger in my 65' FJ40 (With a small block Chevy----Ewww, I know, I know) I put in in park to place the order, place the order, and when I went to put it back in drive, it wouldn't engage. The linkage had come off of the TH400, and was stuck in park. I have cars waiting behind me, so I felt pressured to do something quick. Instead of turning the key to the off position first, I quickly jump out, and slide underneath the rig............Yes while it's still running. :eek: I notice that the linkage came off. I tried to carefully reattach the linkage, while everyone's staring at me wondering what the heck is going on. While doing this I hit the linkage into reverse and my rig begins to drive-Ahhhhhh! Nothing like having your 37" MTR idle it's way half way up up your thigh, and stay there. I panicked and pushed it back into neutral, it rolls back down off my leg, in the process I burn all of my knuckles on the toasty warmth of my aluminized exhaust. Lying underneath my rig, I managed to muster enough courage to face the audience behind me, shut the rig off, and proceed to push it to the nearest parking spot to do a quick fix on the linkage, got my food. Dazed and confused, I cautiously drove home. Like I said, It was 10 years ago, and I'm now the proud owner of a 73 Bronco. Haven't managed to run my self over yet, but just in case, I down graded to 36" Swampers. They shouldn't hurt quite as bad