• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

You gotta hear this one!

mflint1513

So, in light of recent events, I've decided to replace my worn out column shifter. I'll give you the back story in a second. I'm going to change to a floor mounted B&M light truck shifter. Has anyone installed this or had any sort of feedback with installation?

Now, the story...
So I've been having alot of issues with my carb. I've had to tweek it here, rebuild it there, new vac lines, you get the idea. So I'm trying to get it dialed in and it's idle is around 1500...a bit high really for hot idle. I move back and forth between playing with the idle then check the tach, put the car in gear, and listen to if she sounds like she's knockin' or wants to die.

After an hour or so in the driveway I realize it's time to call it quits for the day. I do one final check and place the shifter into park. I leave the door open, walk around front to close the hood. I've got the prop rod (which fell out recently) a couple screwdrivers, a torx wrench, etc in my hands. I just let the hood fall to close itself. Here's where it gets fun.

The car wasn't in park. The column shifter was worn out that it was between park and reverse but displayed "P". When I dropped the hood, it kicked my high idling drivetrain into reverse causing it to tear a$$ down my driveway! I start freaking out and chasing the car down all 20-30 yards of my drive. I damn near wiped out trying to get around the door as I stumbled through some overgrown vine I have on a fence next to the driveway! Tools are flyin, I'm freakin out, I bang my knee pretty good tryin to jump in the d@mn truck which eventually comes to a screetching halt!

So, B&M it is! Anyone know anything about that shifter?

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I dont know about the B/M shifter, I use the art carr from jbg, solid set up, heavy duty....but nonetheless what a story!!glad u didnt bang it up, or anybody in its way!

OP
OP
M

mflint1513

I got pretty worried (in what little time I had) because the neighborhood kids like to play in my driveway sometimes despite me telling them not to. Could've been a bad thing. So Art Carr is the way to go?

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I like it, its very heavy duty....caveat I did not install, I had a mechanic install, its a floor shifter that requires small cutting away of crossmember to mount.....shifts perfectly

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
I had a B&M in mine when I bought it. I thought it was junk and replaced it with an Art Carr. No comparison in my opinion. The AC is awesome.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Art Carr or Winters, It's the same. Smooth operating, probably will last forever. Installation is a few hours, the hardest part is making something to mount the shifter. Cable routing and the small notch in the cross member is simple. You'll want the Art Carr neutral safety switch. The stock NSS is removed for the new linkage arm.
Mark

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Shifter falling into reverse was a common problem with Ford trucks in the late 70's. As I recall there was a recall on them. I don't know if Broncos were involved.

broncotom

Loc.
CO,100 Miles to Moab
That is fun!! I had that happen to me while mine was in the garage. luckily it fell into reverse and started backing out of the garage instead of 1st gear and drive through the wall and into my daughters bedroom;D I was able to reach in and push the brake pedal but it was pretty scary for a second.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
Nice story, mine had electrical gremlins when I bought it and it ended up trying to start itself when I was underneath it, luckily I was able to move my body completely underneath the rig so it rolled right over me and not on me. I ended up chasing it down the street until the battery died from cranking the motor in gear. I went and bought a lottery ticket later that day, but I didn't win.

markperry

Bronco Guru
That's a great story! Most would not have the courage to tell that story but I would lay money that everyone on this website has a similar story like yours:cool:
P.S. I'm not telling mine!

Jr.mudflinger

Loc.
Oakley, CA
I was parking mine and my friend has out side and yelled at me adnd I turned around, clutch slipped out, gas hit the floor, almost hit my nieghbors boat. Scary stuff happens!