• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF Transmission

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Does anyone know if a 2wd ZF transmission will work in an EB? The guy that I am considering buying it from says it has the PTO covers on boths sides and the yoke that comes out of the back. He said it came out of a late 1980s F350.

I remember reading somewhere that a 2wd ZF could work with some extra fabrication but I can't find any write-ups on it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

74horse

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I have seen a lot of great ZF info posted but unfortunately you cant search on "ZF" as a term, you cant even bracket it with wildcards and get anything. Other than the suggestion of 'links on the left' I would do a search on "transmission" and maybe "2wd*" and or "adapter", then filter through and find the ZF info.

Amac70

ME
only if it has a parking brake attached to it other wise it is a lot of work changing the cases.

xbanone

I know someone on here has made a 2wd adapter, and i know i have posted the link, i'll look for it and send it if i can.....you could also consider a "divorced" transfercase setup with a short driveshaft inbetween the two, if your getting a 2wd case you should be getting it for cheap....they arn't worth NEAR as much as a 4wd unit...

Brady

OP
OP

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Thanks for your help. I will check out the link. I always know I can get the answers here. This site is great!!!

OP
OP

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Ebronc is a mad man. The tech article refernced above convinced me that the 2wd ZF option is way too involved for me unless someone comes up with some adapters.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
If you look around enough, you will find a deal. I found a rebuilt S542 4x4 for $1000. I looked for a good two months before I found it in San Bernardino, CA. I've been scouring wrecking yards in So-Cal for a while, but those F-250's are hard to find.

maverickconner

I got my 4wd case on ebay for $400 with shipping and all, I bought the rebuild kit for another $400. Rebuilt it my self, fairly easy, now its like new....

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Hey, I know that webpage...

Lol - my ears were burning, so I had to come check out the board. :)

Excellent timing. I got the 351W and the ZF/D20 combo installed in the Bronco yesterday, and everything fits PERFECTLY. When I was working to mate the 2wd ZF to the D20, I went ahead and clocked the transfer case while I was at it, (and converted it to twin-stick at the same time.) With the ZF just below the floorpan sheetmetal (2" body lift), the bottom of the trans is even with the bottom of the frame rails, and the driver's side front output of the D20 is, also. The top of the case of the D20 sits 1/4" below the "stiffening rib" under the floor, just about where the seats are.

Honestly, everything fits so well it's spooky. What's great about using the 2wd ZF is the price - I found mine on eBay just before Christmas for $168.00! There's one on eBay right now with a Buy it Now of $299. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33733&item=2479808580&rd=1

I re-used the stock adapter and crossmember (just a little modified). Total cost of adapters = $0. The twin stick setup was fabricated from the old T-shifter, the original Bronco muffler bracket, some electrical conduit, and two cue balls for knobs. Total cost - $0.

So, for about $300 (mostly for the ZF and shipping) and a little work, I've got a great heavy duty trans with an awesome granny 1st gear, a useful 5th gear overdrive, much better ground clearance, (flat belly pan!) lots more gearing/drive options (front wheel low!), hydraulic clutch (lots more room to run exhaust).....what's not to like?;D

Here's a sneak peek at the article detailing the swap that I'm working on for Bronco Driver:

http://home.austin.rr.com/broncenstein/Budget ZF swap.htm

Lots more pics coming soon.

OP
OP

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Thanks everyone for responding. I will keep looking.

Ebronc, I still think you are a mad man. Especially how you cut the adapter in half with a grinder. I am not as talented as you are at engineering parts. You may want to consider developing adapters for the 2wd conversion and selling them. I would consider buying it if it would save money over the cost of finding a 4wd ZF.