• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF5 rebuild

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
I'm pretty sure my ZF5 needs to be rebuilt. It was a Craigslist score, that looked very clean and it was cheap enough so I bought it.

After my install, it leaked (badly) out of the front seal. I pulled the case apart and added a "Speedie Sleeve" and it sealed up. Since then I've had problems with it griding into gears despite the clutch pedal completely depressed. This happens on upshifts and downshifts as well as going into reverse or going from reverse into 1st or 2nd.

It rarely, but sometimes slightly grinds/buzzes into gear in 2 Hi. I can usually shift as quickly as I want in 2 Hi without any problem, but sometimes I can feel & hear slight gear grinding.

In 4 low 2.7:1 (Atlas 4 speed), I get more noticable grinding, when I shift quickly.

In 4 low 4.3:1 and low/low 11.7:1, I have significant difficulty making a clean up shift or down shift. If I let the motor completely wind down I usually can avoid grinding. This doesn't really work for offroading as the shifts have to take so long the truck will come to a complete stop before I can shift into the next gear.

I'm assuming this indicates bad synchros and/or bearing play making gear alignment slow/impossible. Is this a correct diagnosis? I assume the transmission shouldn't do this and I should be able to make fairly quick shifts (not looking for race car performance) without grinding gears.

Can anyone recommend a good source for a rebuild kit? I see a wide range of pricing and want to buy quality as the work will obviously be significant. I do have people familiar with rebuilding transmissions available who will help, I know the ZF5 is a somewhat difficult transmission to work with.

Thanks

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Take a look at this video, it does not look like a fun rebuild

Dave Chappelle from Dirt Everyday just swapped 4 qts of Redline MT90 into his ZF and it solved the grinding into gear issue and stopped the bearing rollover noise. I'm going to do the same when I put mine back into the Bronco. From what I've read, the ATF from ford was originally recommended by ZF for cold climates, and was originally a gear oil for regular/hot climates.

As far as kits go, this is the one I've seen recommend in OBS forums https://www.usastandardgear.com/sho...jBocVFYVRSC_vM9Wpj0BlIMGlV7PXxn_8m-5O6YLb9fCf

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
What fluid are you running?

Tim
Synthetic Valvoline ATF. Is the stuff recommended below better or something else?
edit: I just saw the Valvoline Synthetic ATF is approved as Mercon LV, not Mercon V. Is LV low viscosity? and could that be the problem?
Take a look at this video, it does not look like a fun rebuild

Dave Chappelle from Dirt Everyday just swapped 4 qts of Redline MT90 into his ZF and it solved the grinding into gear issue and stopped the bearing rollover noise. I'm going to do the same when I put mine back into the Bronco. From what I've read, the ATF from ford was originally recommended by ZF for cold climates, and was originally a gear oil for regular/hot climates.

As far as kits go, this is the one I've seen recommend in OBS forums https://www.usastandardgear.com/sho...jBocVFYVRSC_vM9Wpj0BlIMGlV7PXxn_8m-5O6YLb9fCf
I'll look up the Dirt Everyday video. I found it on his Dirthead Shed page. It would be great to just swap oil.
Thanks for the rebuild video, I'll check it out. I have read it is a difficult rebuild, but I have some very experienced friends willing to help. Hopefully a fluid swap will avoid the rebuild. Thanks.

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Redline MT90 is good stuff. I run "synchromesh" in my M5ODR2 and it shifts good.

Your issue sounds like a fluid issue to me. I would give the proper fluid a try before I rebuild it.

Tim

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Redline MT90 is good stuff. I run "synchromesh" in my M5ODR2 and it shifts good.

Your issue sounds like a fluid issue to me. I would give the proper fluid a try before I rebuild it.

Tim
I'll check Synchromesh out and will definitely swap fluids before attempting a rebuild. Glad I asked here before tearing into the trans. I agree it feels like a thicker oil would help.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk