• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 explorer. Distributorless?...

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Couple helpful tips maybe for someone, i found an old thread on search but figured i would post again so its out there again...i had to ditch the old explorer oil filter adapter gizmo and go straight to block. So i bought a piece from Ford for a 1994 mustang 5.0. Here is the ford pn# ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368579060.994622.jpg

So i went ahead and primed the new oil pump. Using an old ford distributer. And a drill counterclockwise. Easy day ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368579230.369093.jpg

So then i went to put the CPS. Back in and brought engine to TDC #1. And looked at some pics of the ford tool that EFI GUY shared w me, and it made it pretty simple that the male tang needed to be in the CPS window ( i believe if i looked at the tool properly)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368579421.556485.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368579434.221072.jpg

I hope this helps someone someday

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Im looking to ditch the stock modified intake elbow since im not running egr and can use the clearance, does anyone have a pn for an adapter to mount the MAF and a k&n?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Where are you going to mount the EEC? Looks like my best option is to lengthen the harness so I can get in farther inside the cab. I've got 47 wires to extend on the EEC plug.

Mark

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368580284.972330.jpg

This is a before shot, but this is a great spot for me, i sued all the explorer mounting brackets and shroud also.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
That looks good. That's basically the same location as the Explorer. I didn't think there was enough room behind the defrost ducts, but after looking at yours, it seems to fit nice.

Mark

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Yeah it fits real nice in there, and i can access it in and out with the upper plenum on. Oh and i didn't have to extend any wires

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Nice! Good to know it will fit there. Did you just mount it in the factory Explorer case?

No word yet on the file, but I'm being persistent. I'm anxious to see you fire this thing off.

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
After work today i started my plug wires...i had a unique situation since i used the BC Broncos headers and the GT40 P heads.. I needed OBD2 coil pack plug ends ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368666654.349546.jpg and i needed 90 deg boots due to plug angle on explorer..so i took the old wires and stripped the boots and orded some MSD. Street wires 8mm. With 90 deg boots and put them together ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368666730.140614.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368666742.966887.jpg . That teflon lube works wonders to slide the boots on and the Taylor wire pliers are always helpful for plug wires...of course some dielectric grease.

All in all it turned out great. No boots touch the headers now....but...plugs are a PITA. To get in on 2 and 6. All in all i am pleased
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368666885.849709.jpg

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
I also thought about my throttle linkage and could've used the stock bracket, flipped it upside down ( since i changed the angle of the intake elbow by cutting it and re welding it to a 45 deg angle vs the stock 90). And trimmed it but it wouldve been flimsy and not to my liking. Also i have time to kill waiting on a few more parts so why not make one. Cardboard is my friend.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667116.107493.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667151.479868.jpg

Then i just mocked it up and adjusted angles of the bends ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667197.252001.jpg

Once i had it where i wanted it i made a stiffener brace for it and added my. Home garage initials "SB". For Scotty built. My friends came up with that for me. Lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667296.301707.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667309.814088.jpg

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Oh and no major feat but i mounted the inertia switch today also after work... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368667371.767221.jpg

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Added a champion aluminum 5.0 conversion radiator today. Still hunting hoses but i think i found what i need ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368835738.349864.jpg

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Its alive!!!! I received my PCM back from EFI guy , slapped it in, but had no fuel pump relay.. I double checked my relay and didnt have the right trigger wire hooked up....turned key again and fuel was at the shcrader valve ( core removed). Installed schrader valve, primed system and turned key... IT RUNS SMOOOOOTH... Checked engine vitals, good, oil pressure, topped off with coolant and PS fluid.... This engine runs great so far...

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
I want to say a huge thanks to SURFER B and EFI guy here, without surfer b giving me the initial " you can do it" i probly would have just slapped a distributor in it like everyone else, but i wanted more and he gave me the push i needed.. E also hooked me up with some great tips along the way since he had already done it. Thanks man.

To EFI guy... What a great guy, first he says i can do it and said if i was overwhelmed, he was a vendor and could rewire my harness for me, but after thinking about it and having a few beers i started chopping my harness, ( rendering it useless to send off to a vendor) so i was stuck with the job myself... EFI guy even though he does this to make money, still took the time to help me out when i would e mail him a question.. THANKS. I knew when it was time for my computer to get done up, he was the man, he did what he said he would and kept me posted the whole time letting me know where we were on progress for my PCM.. I highly recommend him as a vendor, great customer service...

All in all i am glad i went distributorless...it was a lot of work and probly cost me a few bucks along the way, but i know every color wire there is to know on a 99 explorer OBD II engine now, and i have a lot of self satisfaction knowing i did it myself....

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
That's great news. I know you'll be smiling all weekend. I'll be sending Garry (EFI guy) my EEC in the next couple of weeks. Glad to hear yours fired right up.

Mark

OP
OP
cscotted

cscotted

Contributor
Hit me up with any questions i might be able to help with...