Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 07/23/05, 03:14 PM   #1
CPT_D_1969

A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's. She changes it more often.

Yongsan, Korea

My Gallery
Hubby in Iraq- want to fix up the Bronco while he's away would appreciate any advice

Hello to all you Bronco enthusiats. My Hubby just went back to Iraq to finish his year deployment. While he was home on R & R, we purchased a 1969 Bronco. It runs well, but needs some work. I want to get it ready for him while he is away as sort of a welcome home gift of thanks for my hero. I am looking for some advice on what all I should do to get this baby ready for it's Daddy. I have some pictures I could email to anyone who is interested in volunteering their time and expertise. I have no experience in this type of thing, but would really like to get this squared away by the time he returns in January. I look forward to hearing from you all and getting some suggestions. Some of the things I know I need to do are to get it painted (not sure what to pay here), get some more comfortable seats (looking for interchanges or whatever is best), and get some brake work done. You really have to put the pedal down to get it to stop. I am not sure if that is normal on these models or not. We are wanting to take a road trip when he gets back and I would like to be able to take the Bronco. He had such a great time driving it while he was home a few days. Thanks-from an Army wife who is in a little over her head- Melissa
Old 07/23/05, 03:19 PM   #2
Steve
Bronco Guru

GOT MOAB?

Grand Junction, CO

My Gallery
Melissa, where are you located?

69 narrowed 8 inches, locked F&R, big tires, EFI, Atlas, winch, blah, blah, blah
Old 07/23/05, 03:23 PM   #3
CPT_D_1969

Yongsan, Korea

My Gallery
I am in Lonoke, Arkansas ( in the middle of nowhere)
Old 07/23/05, 03:24 PM   #4
loewermx

Alexandria
What kind of budget are you on?

Like I said, I am also a newbie but I will be glad to help in any way possible.

Scott
Old 07/23/05, 03:29 PM   #5
CPT_D_1969

Yongsan, Korea

My Gallery
Well, I probably have close to 1500 a month for the next 5 months. I got an estimate on the paint and body work with the addition of a 3m rubberized undercarriage coating(?) for 2000-3000. I feel like an idiot when I go get estimates and stuff because I know nothing about this stuff. I don't want to be taken advantage of because I know nothing.
Thanks Again,
Melissa
Old 07/23/05, 03:33 PM   #6
mlogan24
Bronco Guru

Lacey,WA
Wow-you are a great wife. Best of luck in what you're doing for your husband.

Hopefully, one of the members on here that is close to you geographically can give you a hand with the shop work. Keep us posted!

BTW-God bless you and your husband for his contribution to our national security

Old 07/23/05, 03:33 PM   #7
YelloTx73
Bronco Guru

Katy/Galveston, TX

My Gallery
Welcome aboard! What a wonderful wife! You've definitely come to the right place. There are a number of guys on the board here that are in Arkansas that are knowledgeable with broncos. Im sure they will chime in when they see the thread. Again, welcome to the board and best of luck with the bronco. If you'd like, send me some pics to bc18100@yahoo.com, and Ill post them here on the board so that we all can have a look at what you are working with
Old 07/23/05, 03:51 PM   #8
CPT_D_1969

Yongsan, Korea

My Gallery
Thank you for the blessing we have put this whole thing in God's hands. I know in my heart that he will bring him home safely.
Old 07/23/05, 03:53 PM   #9
CPT_D_1969

Yongsan, Korea

My Gallery
YelloTx73- I sent you a few pics. I hope you get them, let me know
Thanks Again,
Melissa
Old 07/23/05, 04:00 PM   #10
kps74 bronco

south jersey,medford

My Gallery
I cant fix it from here but post the prices you are getting and we all can help you out.Nothing worse than someone with a good heart getting taken .I hope the hubby,my brother and everyone over there is safe and on there way home real soon.Ken
Old 07/23/05, 04:00 PM   #11
Red Bronco

Los Angeles
Welcome to the family Melissa..you are on the rigth place, most of the members have a lot of experience and can guide you, after seen the picts we will have a better idea.
Old 07/23/05, 04:10 PM   #12
meathead333
Bronco Guru

The Other White Meat

Alexandria, VA

My Gallery
wow, thats the same way i bought my bronco, when i was home on r&r from iraq. let me tell you that this is the perfect place be if you need help. there are tons of great people on here. you sound like a great wife, my wife is great to, but she didnt surprise me with a fixed up bronco. youll have one happy soldier/hubby for sure. welcome aboard and lets see soem pics!

Old 07/23/05, 04:12 PM   #13
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
melissa, first thing i'd concentrate on is getting it safe. if the brakes are rock hard, it sounds like it's probably still drum. see if you can find somebody around you that can do a disc brake conversion. that should run well under $1000.00 for parts and labor.

what kind of shape is the body in?
Old 07/23/05, 04:36 PM   #14
YelloTx73
Bronco Guru

Katy/Galveston, TX

My Gallery
Here are the shots I got from Melissa. If its not too much trouble, shoot some pics of the engine bay, door posts and floorboards. The last two can be trouble spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body.jpg (199.0 KB, 1263 views)
File Type: jpg driverside.jpg (162.1 KB, 1038 views)
File Type: jpg passside.jpg (132.2 KB, 889 views)
Old 07/23/05, 04:47 PM   #15
Cavalry

Rusty and Broken

I HATE UPSTATE NY

My Gallery
I second a disc brake swap (power). It makes it an entirely different truck. Personally I would swap a D44 from a later bronco and disc that. Hydroboost is a nice inexpensive route for power brakes

My next suggestion is to replace all the original bushings with polyurethene (If it has not been done already)

next would be a power steering swap (get the truck into the 70's at least)

Next I would go through the truck with a fine tooth comb to fix any mechanical troubles that may exist. A nice shiny rig is great but if it dosent work properly what good is it? Get it as comfortable and reliable to drive as possible.

if it still has points ignion I would convert it to electronic. Fuel injection would be a great step up but that can get expensive quick.

After all those things are done I would start thinking about body and paint.

Click on some of the links to the left (toms, james duff, jeffs graveyard, BC broncos, etc.) go through the catalogs and see what appeals to you. Its very possible to spend a insane amount of money quick.

I dont know if you intend on doing your own work or not. I would suggest not going to a "4wd shop" unless you really want to pay shop rate of $60+

Military towns are filled with guys(you should know that lol) find someone that is a shadetree mechanic type. There are plenty of people out there that will do quality work cheap. You are not working on a lexus here its as uncomplicated machine as possible. Drive around, find some modified 4WD's or hotrods, talk to the guys who own them. Tell them your story they might be able to direct you to someone reputible.

thats my thoughts for now.....

67 Sport Roadster conversion
66 Roadster (dead but resuscitation is possible)

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives