• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Iraq Deployment Bronco Project

acharlierock

Hi. I am currently on my second deployment to Iraq, saving all the money I can to bring my 66 Bronco back to life and my daily driver back at Fort Hood/Fort Bragg. I have a good chunk of cash to spend, and want to do things right. I plan on using it mostly on the highway, with some camping/mild off roading thrown in every once in awhile. I want to put in a 302 V8, fuel injected, with a 5 on the floor. So far my research on crate engines and trannies have led me to wanting an NV 3550, paired with a crate engine, something like this.. http://www.tuffdawgengines.com/ford_302_360hp_efi.htm
(Please inform if this engine is way off, or what a better crate option would be)

I know this is the tip of the iceberg, and a topic that has been discussed several times, but just wanted to get the opinions of the experts on what I should be looking and shopping for while I'm here. I have a few pictures of the Bronco in its current state, and will attach them as soon as I figure out how. (Rookie to this like I said). Thank you all in advance, this is the only thing I think about between missions here, and can't wait to get back and get started.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
IMO I think that engine may be a little to high strung for a bronco. I'd consider something with under 300 hp if your sticking with a 302. If you really want the higher numbers than go with a 351W. Still I'd find out for sure what cam is in that engine I just have a feeling its to big for a bronco. Probably no good at all for 5th gear hiway useage.
the camshaft is the heart of the engine and the wrong one can make you hate a engine/vehicle.

Also keep in mind that on top of that engine your going to need all the other stuff to convert to EFI as it only has the EFI intake nothing else like ijectors throttle body ect. your best bet would be to find a complete low mileage EFI engine and swap that in.

OP
OP
A

acharlierock

Whoa, quick reply, awesome. Thank you for the advice on the tuffdawg engine. I am still pretty set on a crate engine though, and might end up spending a little cash and just going with the 302 found on ford racing.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10267

A little pricey, and I realize I will have to also purchase the intake, fuel tank with pump, harness, lines, throttle cables, etc. Is there anything crate out there that comes with all of the above, or do you have to piece it together?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well I can understand wanting a crate engine. but few will come with all the needed stuff. There are places that offer almost complete engines like this explorer engine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories thats a decent price compared to those other ones but this one will still require some parts swapping to make it run in a bronco. but its practically a bolt in deal. Still might be worth getting a donor EFI engine so you will have all the parts you need for a crate engine. There could be other options as well so keep up the research I'm sure you have time. I know how deployments go.

OP
OP
A

acharlierock

Ha. OK OK, you're starting to sell me. Recommendations on the best places to look for a low mileage EFI engine? I really like the looks (and price) of this explorer setup. I'm assuming with a couple new engine mounts and a little moving around this would drop right in?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically that engine will drop right in its no different than a standard 302 it just has EFI. But some of the parts on that engine will have to come off like the igintion and probably the engine oil cooler but thats relatively simple.

AustenKendall

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Bronco

Hey buddy,

Provide me with an email address, and i'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm currently in the middle of a 1969 restoration, and have encountered every dilemma imaginable. I'm currently in Afghanistan.

Austen

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
First off, thank you for serving! One other thing to consider with a high HP crate motor is that though the NV3550 is a great swap in tranny it might not be the right choice behind a high HP block. I believe it would work just fine behind the Explorer motor and this is my plan also, but with a lot of torque (like that from one of those crate motors) it may not survive, but I will let the guys who already have one comment further on that.

OP
OP
A

acharlierock

Fatboy, Thank you. After talking to some of these other guys, I think I might go with a crate explorer 5.0 engine for half the price, paired with an NV 3550. Should be good for what I'm wanting to do (95% highway driving). As far as the drivetrain goes, what else am I going to need to start shopping for?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Since you are starting with a 66, power steering and brake upgrades are probably in order. The engine swap is covered, but if you have a six cyl currently, engine mount and a few other mods will have to be made. While the Dana 30 front end should be fine for your intended use, gearing, suspension and tire size are all going to be a factor in how well everything works together for you. That should keep you busy for awhile.

OP
OP
A

acharlierock

I am thinking about running with 33 or 35s, which I'm assuming I will need at least a 2.5 inch suspension lift for that?

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
acharlierock JMO a crate motor costs to much vs a good healthy used 5.0 roller with the Mustang intake, computer etc. Again JMO a daily driver that is to built may not be the best choice and to get those big numbers crate motors are built. That first engine you mentioned even needs Premium Fuel, Ouch.
I have a NV3550 and run 33" tires. I was not happy with 4.11 gears with that trans so I went to 4.56.
All those mods at one time area lot of work, time and $$. If you can you may want to get the basic V8 swap done and get your rig drivable first, then tackle the other projects as you have time. Or concider another daily driver while your build is going on. Just an idea.
Durring my tours in Iraq I was able to get on this sight at the MWR several times a week. If you can there are some great build threads that will give you ideas.
Welcome, thanks for serving and Support Victory!

OP
OP
A

acharlierock

dbevans.. Thank you for your advice. This is the reason I posted on here, to prevent rookie mistake now and thousands of dollars wasted. I am going to be able to borrow my dads vehicle when I get back, as he just got a new one and I convinced him not to sell the old one just yet. I am sure you can understand my excitement on wanting to buy everything now and get things going. I know I have to be patient though. I live about half an hour from BC Broncos (found this golden fact out last week) and plan on doing most of my work through them. I know I have to take my time, but in your opinion, what are some things that I can do/shop around for to prep the Bronco now in order to expedite the engine and trannie transplant when I get back in a couple of months?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Archarlierock, thx for serving! I served last summer in Balad with the 332nd. I met a lot of good guys over there and I sorta miss the food too! I especially miss the all-u-can eat Alaskan King Crableg nights!!! But any who thx again!

Since you are so close to BC I would make contact with Chuck (owner of BC). He helped me out a lot when I got back from Iraq. He has some real good parts that are made in-house. Since you have a 66 there are several upgrades such as 3-4 core radiator, H-boost brakes, 76-77 Dana 44 with disc, stronger 9", etc. I have a 351W that is mildly built with gas economy in mind. But I really wanted low-end torque so a RV cam was put in, next step is re-gearing my axles (soon to come). You may be able to have ur 66 dropped off at BC and have Chuck take a gander at it. He may be able to do a semi-frame-on restoration (clean up under carriage and engine bay, replace rusted panels, simple paint, wiring, etc.). He may be able to find you an engine/ tranny and install it for you while you are away. An efi engine can be a headache for some (like me) but getting someone with experience to do it AND have it running well by the time you get back would be killa!

Things you can get done once you get back is gears, suspension, saginaw/ H-boost, interior, paint, etc. Don't worry you will make "rookie" mistakes but thats part of owning a bronco. JMO, unless you want to spend weeks doing an engine change urself, have a professional do it and have confidence that its getting done correctly. Take care and keep ur head down!

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
acharlierock JMO Your rig does not need to run but it has to stop! A '66 has 45 year old a Drum Brake Dana 30 in front. A good place to start may be a Dana 44 front axle with Disc brakes. That is a fairly easy bolt in upgrade.
I have a NV3550 in mine and can tell you that you will need at least 4.56 gear's. That is another thing that will be good down the line when you have the new engine.
There are healthy used 5.0 Mustang and Explorer Engines for sale in wrecking yards that should be under $1000.00 delivered to your location. You will also need some other things such as a F150 flywheel Etc that you can get ahead of time to get a jump on things. Chuck and Jason at BC Broncos are great and allways willing to give advice.
When you get home be carefull!! Deployed you have Risk Management, PCC, PCI, K Pot, Body Armor, Armored Vehicles, Battle Buddy's and Leadership Etc. When you get home you are on your own. Too many Soldiers get hurt soon after coming home so take it easy and stay safe.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
X2 on what dbevans said.

I've seen many posts where guys break their build down into stages. I think that would be smart in your case. Stage 1: Have the brakes overhauled if not replaced. Get a good reliable motor put in by someone you can count on. When that is almost done go ahead and start on Stage 2 and look for a tranny (NV4500 or 3500, etc.). Once you have a tranny, start Stage 3 which is gears. Depending on which engine you install will give you the proper running RPM band to operate best for that 5th gear (anywhere b/ 2200-2600 rpm). A 5.0 pushing 31s would be fine on stock gears (some may disagree with that). A 5.0 will lug big time w/ 35s at say 1800 rpm. So what is the point of having a 5th gear if all you do is drive around in 4th. Might as well have a NP435 (which by the way is a stout tranny).

I know you are 7-8 hours ahead of me (SC), probably 9-10 hrs TX time, the best thing to do is start by e-mailing Chuck and getting him involved from the get go. Get the business stuff out of the way and chances are he may want a deposit. He will need to know exactly what you want, any changes will cost $$$$ down the line and may slow things up. I have never had my EB worked on by pros like BC, but I think I would organize it by doing it in stages unless Chuck says there is a better and cheaper way of building it. Until then be safe!

OP
OP
A

acharlierock

DBevans and Crawdad. Thank you guys so much for the input. I am a complete rookie at this stuff, so breaking it down into stages helps a ton. I talked to Chuck a couple of days ago, and we worked out a pretty sweet deal for when I get back. I haven't driven it in years, but the one thing I remember is the brakes always giving me issues, and you're absolutely right, "stopping" is more important than "going". I plan on going disk all the way around. I lam originally from Fredericksburg, TX (about 25 minutes away from BC Broncos in Ingram) and plan on doing everything with their oversight, as I want to do it right the first time.

Please excuse the very stupid question, but could you please explain the gears, and what the pros and cons are of higher vs. lower? Thanks guys, you really are making this deployment go a lot smoother, as I now have something to look forward to and take my mind off things after each mission.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
"Please excuse the very stupid question, but could you please explain the gears, and what the pros and cons are of higher vs. lower?"

Again it all goes back to Stage 2: Engine selection. There is a big difference in 302 vs 351W, carb vs efi. Maybe I missed it but what do you have for tire size. When I got my EB it had a rebuilt 351 in stock form with 33" Michilins (sp), stock 3.50 gears, and C4. I could burn those 33s with that Holly 4 barrel. If I had a NV3500/4500 I would still be able to run well down the rd in 5th gear with no lugging. If I replaced the 351 with a stock 302 and NV tranny the fifth gear would be useless. I would ruin the clutch quick. If I changed the gear to say 4.56s or 4.88s then I could use the 302 and run the 33s in 5th gear. To me it boils down to horsepower & torque.

Check out a good build thread by kholding, he has an EB being done by West Coast Broncos. You can also do a search for NV3500 or NV4500. There are a lot of builds using these trannies. Do remember this, you are pushing a brick down the highway. EBs can get decent gas mileage if you call 13-14 mpg decent?!!! I'd kill for that! For me to get that would cost me atleast two-three thousand dollars (efi 351W, 5 something gears???, NV4500 and 35" AT tires). For now all I want to do is increase stock gears to 4.56s for my 37s.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
acharlierock,

Welcome to the site and thanks for all your service for this Great Country! First things first, be careful and get back here safe. Don't let the Bronco's buildup distract you from what you are doing out there!

Like others have said, I would start off with the brakes and drivetrain in general. I wouldn't go too crazy with the motor if you are gonna run the NV3550. It is rated at something like 300 ft/lbs of torque. I have no doubt that it will handle more but no sense pushing it. Honestly, as important as the powerplant in a vehicle is, the gearing is probably just as important. With the wrong gearing in the axles your 66 is gonna be have no acceleration with 33 or 35inch tires. I would go with at least a set of 4.56 gears in the axles which will put your engine in a nice RPM band on the highway in 5th with the NV3550.

As for suspension, you are gonna need a bit more lift with the 33 or 35 inch tires that you plan on running. You may be able to get away with the 2.5 inch lift for the 33's but are gonna need a 3.5 at the very minimum for the 35's and a 1 inch body lift with both lift of choice because of the NV3550 conversion which is recommended for that conversion.

That's my thoughts and going in stages is probably a good plan of attack. Whatever path you go in be safe and get home so that you can enjoy you bronco and have fun with it. ;D