• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Absolute tallest tire possible on stock 15 x 6" rim?

OP
OP
C

chrisgins

Rootbeer and Baddad... thanks for those suggestions.. have called a few places but nothing yet.

I can get a: GOODYEAR 7.00R15LT WRANGLER ALL SEASON for $110 shipped which is a 30" tall tire

My current tires are 33" tall which will be a 1.5" height difference. If I have open differential.. this would be OK.. but If I have limited slip this will not? is that correct?

thx

baddad457

The difference in height is not a major issue as long as you're just using it to get somewhere else in a pinch. Just don't want to run it for long periods with a L/S (clutch type) rear. It'll tend to wear the clutches prematurely

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The Willys Jeep had 16"x4.5" wheels with a larger center hole than Ford wheels, but the same bold pattern. A 7.50x16 tire is 31.7" tall so it's my pick for your problem. Try to find an early Ford 16" wheel. They are 6" wide and work better than the 15" or the Jeep wheels.

OP
OP
C

chrisgins

Would love to see what the actual max speed / distance to heat ratio would be for different tire sizes on a limited-slip axle.

And would it be similar for smaller diameter tires (cars) vs. large truck tires...?

Anyway... if you think 33" and 30" tires on the same axle might be OK for 20 miles at 25mph.... Think I'll go for that.

Thanks,
-C

OP
OP
C

chrisgins

Was looking for a 5 x 5.5 16" rim....... none used only new...It's a $100 rim plus a $150 tire plus the damn $50 I wasted on the 15" rim.......= $300 for a spare.

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
see if a local tire store will mount a 33x12.50x15 or the closest thing they have on that 6 inch wheel. it looks stupid but it can be done.

rootbeer

Rootbeer and Baddad... thanks for those suggestions.. have called a few places but nothing yet.

I can get a: GOODYEAR 7.00R15LT WRANGLER ALL SEASON for $110 shipped which is a 30" tall tire

My current tires are 33" tall which will be a 1.5" height difference. If I have open differential.. this would be OK.. but If I have limited slip this will not? is that correct?

thx

I had 28" tires on my Bronco when I got it and it had a 29.5" tall spare, I used it once for about 30 miles on the highway on the left rear and it was not to bad for that short of trip and I have a trac-loc. I now have 31x10.50 MT and an AT for a spare and they are about .5" difference and it handles fine when I need to run the spare. I am sure its not recommended in the Ford manual to have a different size spare but then again neither is running taller tires, lift, etc. and as the saying goes "just because you can does not always mean you should" ;D I would try to get the height closer than 1.5" if it was mine.

OP
OP
C

chrisgins

I agree Rootbeer and trying to find the tallest /narrowest yet affordable tire possible----

And I think I just did..... drumroll...... the absolute Tallest/Skinniest 15" tire is:

Power King LPT II 8.25-15 has a 33" diameter but only 8.25" wide. THAT"S TALL AND SKINNY all-right.

It's almost the the same price as a 32" Super Swamper however which is still nicer in the dirt. Probably going with the swamper.... Expensive spare..... oh well.