• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

are front disc breaks with 33's an absolute must?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
No. I had 35" tires under mine for awhile using the stock drums. It is a must to be sure the brakes are in good condition though irregardless of what tires you are using. When you can get the money I would definately look at disk brakes in the front though. You'll be much happier both on road and especially off road.

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Stock Drums are fine with 33's. Get your tires on and practice a few different "panic stop" scenarios from various speeds in a controled situation.

I've been driving 33's on drums for a few years now and most of my close calls have been wetware related. The Bronco behaved the same every time.

Knowing what to expect from your drum sys with the new tires when it comes to stopping will help smooth out the wrinkles in your brain.

swingle61

Loc.
Greeley, Co.
I must agree with the other opinions. I'm running 35's now with the stock drums and can lock up the brakes no sweat. Disc all around are coming up fast on the project list but I don't see were you'd have a problem as long as your brakes are in good working order.:cool:

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
The biggest issuer I have with my drum brakes and 33's is brake fade going down hills. Once i leave my house I have to go down a road that is an 8% grade for a mile. By the time I'm at the bottom my braking distance is about 25 percent farther.:p

Last edited:

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
No they are not a must I'm running 33's with drums but at time it has been down right scary. Mostly when you need to panic stop at high speed and stop in a short distance. The problem with this is the heat build up then the brake fade. Thanbk god there have been some open shoulders to swerve onto. I'm ready to run 35's with my current set up but front disc are first before the tires. You'll be ok with 33's but go practice that braking so you know what to expect.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ran 33's with drums for a while. They were in decent shape and the combination worked OK, but it was at its limit. The day I towed the boat to work was the day I decided to switch to disks.

As long as you remeber that the drums will be at there limit, you can run 33's. you will really appriciate those disks when you finally switch.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I'm running 35's with drums and a booster. Stops nice, but I haven't run down a mountain yet (fade is likely).

Yellow75

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
When I had drums it stopped fine but would pull randomly to one side or the other.. Switched to discs and I can lock the front tires up now and stop straight as an arrow. No booster in the plans yet but that's what 2 feet are for ;D

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Mr Joe said:
I'm running 35's with drums and a booster. Stops nice, but I haven't run down a mountain yet (fade is likely).

Ditto. I've had my 35's for a year now and no problems. I could see fade issues on hills though.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I still have drums all the way around, with booster, on mine with 36" tires. I can lock up all four tires on the pavement. It doesn't pull (and shouldn't with any kind of brakes if they're adjusted properly.) Since I'm running an NP435 tranny, downhill is not an issue for me as I hardly ever touch the brake pedal going downhill either on the road or trail.

Dez

I was running 35's with drums until a little fender bender told me to get disks. Although it is borderline on whether the disks would've stopped me (I wasn't paying attention) but disks on the front at least are a HUGE difference. When I first put them on and drove off I almost went through the windsheild the first time I hit the brakes.

I had a '74 with 33's and manual drums for a little over a year and had no problems.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm a big believer in safety being the highest priority. For what you will spend for a set of quality brand tires you could fund a front disc brake conversion.

When I bought my bronco it had manual drum brakes and 31" tires. I drove it that way for a few years without too much problem. But the truth was that the brakes weren't all that great and in a panic stop I wasn't sure I'd be able to stop in time. After a couple of white knuckle experiences I decided that disc brakes were a must. Now it stops great and I have subsequently gone to 33" tires. There is no comparison between disc and drum brakes when it comes to stopping ability. Yes, you could get by with 33" tires and drum brakes, but honestly I think your priority should be on making your vehicle safe first. If you've got the money for tires then you've also got enough money for better brakes instead. Ditto for a roll cage. If you don't have a good cage then I'd forgo spending money on anything else until you have one of those too.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Not a must but good second a power booster helps also that is what my old 4x4 truck had with the boat it sure did help. But disk are the best go as you are and save for them and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Under ideal conditions drums will stop you just as well as disks. When they get hot, or wet, or in a panic situation is when you will realize that better brakes are more important than bigger tires.

OP
OP
Jess Luvs 2Romp

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
thanks for the info guys.

What about snow or just really cold conditions? Any issues with drums there?

And what about drum replacement parts, so they still make them for the bronco?

thx, jess

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
72bronco said:
I'm a big believer in safety being the highest priority. For what you will spend for a set of quality brand tires you could fund a front disc brake conversion.

I think your priority should be on making your vehicle safe first. If you've got the money for tires then you've also got enough money for better brakes instead. Ditto for a roll cage. If you don't have a good cage then I'd forgo spending money on anything else until you have one of those too.

72, I don't disagree that safety should be a high priority, but everyone knows that a lot of what we do to our EBs makes them less safe. Lifting raises the center of gravity, running anything other than state-of-the-art radial tires (I run Swamper TSL/SXs) greatly affects street traction, etc. etc. Everything is a tradeoff.

If front discs are great, than we should all install 4 wheel discs because they're even better. We should never lift our vehicles. We should install more than a simple lap belt that came in EBs. Not trying to start an argument, but vehicle safety is a complicated issue.

I agree with ya 100% on the roll cage. ;D

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Jess Luvs 2Romp said:
thanks for the info guys.

What about snow or just really cold conditions? Any issues with drums there?

And what about drum replacement parts, so they still make them for the bronco?

thx, jess

No issues with mine in the cold and snow and I live in Colorado. You can buy all drum brake parts at any decent auto parts store, including new drums, cylinders, springs, etc.

t2jeff

Loc.
Playa Del Rey, CA
33's, drums all around, no problems as long as you don't mind fighting the steering wheel during hard braking........

you can get disk brakes for these things????;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

72bronco

Bronco Guru
72, I don't disagree that safety should be a high priority, but everyone knows that a lot of what we do to our EBs makes them less safe. Lifting raises the center of gravity, running anything other than state-of-the-art radial tires (I run Swamper TSL/SXs) greatly affects street traction, etc. etc. Everything is a tradeoff.

If front discs are great, than we should all install 4 wheel discs because they're even better. We should never lift our vehicles. We should install more than a simple lap belt that came in EBs. Not trying to start an argument, but vehicle safety is a complicated issue.

You are right that some things are a trade off. There is no question that lifting a truck raises the center of gravity making them more likely to roll. But to offset that risk a lifted truck should also have a cage (or any truck that is taken off-road for that matter). Some guys also prefer their broncos to be original and choose to keep the stock lap belts. I’ve converted mine to 3-point belts, and those who do serious wheeling should consider a full harness. Sure, you can keep the stock seatbelts, but there is no question that later model belts are safer. If your bronco is an original show truck then by all means keep the stock belts. But if you’re going off road then a belt upgrade makes sense.

Larger tires also make a truck more difficult to steer and to stop. Any modifications like that should take into consideration the original design constraints of the vehicle. The bronco brakes, steering, and even axles were never designed for 35” tires. If you’re running stock tires then drum brakes will probably be just fine under most circumstances. But if you go to oversize tires, especially big meats like 35” and above, I think you’re risking your own safety. I kept my drum brakes for 3 years and they worked just fine. But there is also no question that disc brakes are better in every way. Since 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes, the best bang for the buck is a front disc upgrade. Going from front discs to four-wheel disc brakes probably does not improve stopping all that much. That’s why some vehicles are still sold today with front discs and rear drums. Unless you want an original condition truck there is no downside to a disc brake upgrade.

I guess it’s really up to the owner and their budget. There is no question that automotive technology has improved and there are lots of upgrades that can be made to older vehicles that can make them better than they were from the factory. My focus has been on making my truck both mechanically reliable and safe, and so far its come a long way from what it was when I purchased it. Having done a disc brake conversion I’d have to say that, in retrospect, it’s a no-brainer upgrade. I’d hate to see someone invest tons of money and time in their rig only to wreck it, or worse yet get hurt, because the brakes weren’t up to snuff. But it's up to each owner to decide their priorities.