• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front disc brakes

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Hope all is having a good day! In need of a little information, if I buy a Front brake change over from drum to disc on my 74, do I just buy a kit and put it on or is there more involved??? My Bronco is stock height?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It pretty much bolts on from the knuckles out and you need the right master cylinder and proportioning valve. You can buy a kit from the vendors or hit the junkyard to save a good chunk of cash.

OP
OP
MThalfcab

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Thank you for replying, any help appreciated, but I heard there's bushing that will have to be replaced , an alignment, I'm just trying to figure out how much of a rabbit hole I'll be going down?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thank you for replying, any help appreciated, but I heard there's bushing that will have to be replaced , an alignment, I'm just trying to figure out how much of a rabbit hole I'll be going down?
Bushings.....Yes kind of......but probably not what you think :)
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tapered_Sleeves_for_F150_Knuckles/Custom_tie_rods

These sleeves are used so you can install your stock 66-75 tie rod and drag link after you convert to front disc brakes from 76-79 F150 or 78-79 Bronco. They are needed because the tapered holes in the bigger knuckles are larger. The sleeves bring the hole size down to fit the stock 66-75 tie rod.

Got mine from the link above. I sourced all my own parts from a 78-79 Big Bronco. Not sure if the kits come with the tapered Sleeves or not.

Tim

OP
OP
MThalfcab

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Bushings.....Yes kind of......but probably not what you think :)
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tapered_Sleeves_for_F150_Knuckles/Custom_tie_rods

These sleeves are used so you can install your stock 66-75 tie rod and drag link after you convert to front disc brakes from 76-79 F150 or 78-79 Bronco. They are needed because the tapered holes in the bigger knuckles are larger. The sleeves bring the hole size down to fit the stock 66-75 tie rod.

Got mine from the link above. I sourced all my own parts from a 78-79 Big Bronco. Not sure if the kits come with the tapered Sleeves or not.

Tim
Thank you for replying, I'm not much mechanical so I apologize but if I use a complete conversion set from say Toms, I'll need these tie rod tapered sleeves with new bushings to complete the job or is it only needed if I use brakes from a 76-79??

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Hope all is having a good day! In need of a little information, if I buy a Front brake change over from drum to disc on my 74, do I just buy a kit and put it on or is there more involved??? My Bronco is stock height?
If you don’t need/want all Ford parts just do the Chevy conversion kits that the vendors sell. They don’t require new knuckles.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If you don’t need/want all Ford parts just do the Chevy conversion kits that the vendors sell. They don’t require new knuckles.
It' been a LONG time since I've looked at kits. Maybe an all Ford kit isn't sold anymore? I though someone was selling one. Maybe that dried up. And yes the all Chevy conversion doesn't need the tapered sleeves, Only the Ford F150 and Big Bronco knuckles need them.

Tim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It' been a LONG time since I've looked at kits. Maybe an all Ford kit isn't sold anymore? I though someone was selling one. Maybe that dried up. And yes the all Chevy conversion doesn't need the tapered sleeves, Only the Ford F150 and Big Bronco knuckles need them.

Tim
BC Broncos and Duffs both still sell kits that use repop Ford stuff, but for what I think the OP has in mind, it'll just be knuckles out so you don't need to worry about the tie rods or knuckle sleeves, etc.

Todd Z.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ

Tim
I think Duffs has the Monster Brake Kit with all Ford parts still (except Master Cynlinder). I did that a year ago which included new knuckles.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've used the chevy style kit on several Broncos. It works just fine. The biggest advantage of the all-Ford conversion is the larger hole in the knuckle which allows easier installation of bigger axle U-joints or Super Joints. You only really need these if you plan on off-roading a lot and will be upgrading your front axles..

That said, I highly recommend doing a front disk conversion. Much better brakes. It's not a deep rabbit hole!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've used the chevy style kit on several Broncos. It works just fine. The biggest advantage of the all-Ford conversion is the larger hole in the knuckle which allows easier installation of bigger axle U-joints or Super Joints. You only really need these if you plan on off-roading a lot and will be upgrading your front axles..

That said, I highly recommend doing a front disk conversion. Much better brakes. It's not a deep rabbit hole!
X10.. front discs for sure

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
After doing any work with the knuckles you're gonna want to check your alignment afterwards.

OP
OP
MThalfcab

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
I noticed with the JD Master Disc Brakes products, there's grinding to be done, I live very rual, small town so to speak, getting extras done is pretty ruff! I like their products but looking for power booster master cylinder to disc brakes with out the major machine work needed. Does anyone have a product that they'd recommend that's works really well with my 74/ Dana 44? Thank you for any information that can help me decide!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This isn't necessarily "machine" work to get the clearance for the GM brake kit. Side grinder or possibly even a bench grinder would do the work needed.

Had a boss years ago that worked for the USFS in Yaak. Took a guys weekend trip down the Yaak river, flipped the canoe and lost his guns and fishing gear. It was a 1959 Herter's fiberglass canoe that he had mail ordered and was delivered on the train. I bought it from him and just sold it a couple years back.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I noticed with the JD Master Disc Brakes products, there's grinding to be done, I live very rual, small town so to speak, getting extras done is pretty ruff! I like their products but looking for power booster master cylinder to disc brakes with out the major machine work needed. Does anyone have a product that they'd recommend that's works really well with my 74/ Dana 44? Thank you for any information that can help me decide!
This kit is probably the chevy conversion. (I've not looked at it). If so, there is some interference between the knuckle and caliper. The grinding is minor - not major machine work. You could probably do it with a Dremel. The all-Ford kit should not require any grinding.

OP
OP
MThalfcab

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
This isn't necessarily "machine" work to get the clearance for the GM brake kit. Side grinder or possibly even a bench grinder would do the work needed.

Had a boss years ago that worked for the USFS in Yaak. Took a guys weekend trip down the Yaak river, flipped the canoe and lost his guns and fishing gear. It was a 1959 Herter's fiberglass canoe that he had mail ordered and was delivered on the train. I bought it from him and just sold it a couple years back.
Thanks for the update!

I was in a canoe with the great mountain man TO, trapping, we flipped his ole canoe losing his traps but on the West Fork Yaak, on this part of the river during the so called summer, the river goes down quit a bit and he retrieved the traps. I never heard of anyone finding any guns in the river but what a bummer!

OP
OP
MThalfcab

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
This kit is probably the chevy conversion. (I've not looked at it). If so, there is some interference between the knuckle and caliper. The grinding is minor - not major machine work. You could probably do it with a Dremel. The all-Ford kit should not require any grinding.
I was looking at the Ford kit, I'm thinking they all require some type of grinding, I sometimes wished over a up with a phone in my butt so I could get to all this high tech!

OP
OP
MThalfcab

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana