• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Thread - Soft Half Cab with a twist

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I wanted to start a quick build thread of a hybrid half cab I have been working on. What really started me down this path was the $100 Half Cab that drock posted up a few years ago:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246012

I have had an idea for awhile to try and create a half cab that had a window that would go up and down similar to the Toyota Tundras. I looked at full size bronco tailgates, even found a site for limos that sold mechanisms for partitions but never pulled the trigger mainly due to cost.

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
One day after searching on the local Craigslist I saw a post for an "Electric Truck Window" with one picture and the price was $50. I messaged the guy just to see what it was from and to provide me the dimensions. To my surprise it was 55" wide x 39" high so it was a very close fit. I decided for the price if it doesn't work I'm not out that much.

After meeting up with the guy he claimed he owned a parts dealership years ago and ordered this for a customer and the deal fell through. He said he believed it was for a Ford truck but I was hesitant to believe that at first.

Here is the pic from the CL ad.

Attachments

• Original.JPG
    Original.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
So I get this thing home and clean it up and of course couldn't wait to put some power to it. I was so excited to find out the motor still worked so next steps were to figure out what this thing was.

The only markings on it stated CR Laurence which I was familiar with. They make all kinds of glass related products and even make the sliding side windows for the EB hard top.

After poking around on a few Ford forums I found out what I was dealing with. From what I was able to find, Ford built approximately 300 F250 and 600 F150 "BigFoot Cruisers" in the late 80's and 90's and this was one of their special packages. Here is some info I copied from a forum:

In the years since I started this thread I've done allot of research on the original "Power Back Glass", or "BigFoot Cruiser" rear window as they are often called. The official name for them is the "POWRLITE" and they were made by C.R. Laurence. From what I can tell they weren't produced for very long. I haven't been able to nail down any actual production dates, but it seems they were introduced sometime in the mid to late '80s and ceased production in the early 1990's. And they were made for all the popular full-size and mini trucks of the day, not just Ford's.

C.R. Laurence is what's known as an OEM Certified Supplier, and they actually made the sliding rear windows for many Ford pickups. However, no production Ford pickup ever left the factory with a POWR LITE rear window installed. Ford did offer them as part of their "Genuine Ford Accessories" line-up as a dealer installed accessory. (They also offered it's cousin, the POWR SLIDR) A couple aftermarket upfitter companies also offered the POWR LITE as part of their conversion truck packages. The most popular being Scherer Truck Equipment (Bigfoot Cruiser) and Roll-Along.

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I started by removing my old Smittybilt bar for access. (I have been wanting to get rid of that for awhile!) I was happy to find out the POWR LITE fit pretty well.

Attachments

• Slider 1.jpg
    Slider 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Slider 2.jpg
    Slider 2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 96
  • Slider 3.jpg
    Slider 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 96
  • Slider 5.jpg
    Slider 5.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 94

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I put one of those on my 86 ranger back in 87. Was a small job. Had to cut the support across the back of the cab out so it would sit flat and fit inside the window trim well. Been looking for another for years just to have for an unknown project. Great find!! Does he have any more??

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The next task I had to tackle was how to secure it. At 55" it fit pretty well and would "stand" on its own just in front of the wheel wells. This left just a few inches on each side to fill in if needed. My focus at the moment is not to necessarily make this weather proof, just more of a "wind jammer".

The way it was designed for the trucks was the extended lip would rest in the bottom rear window channel and the base if you will would be inside the cab. So, my thought was to use that same lip and use 3/4" square tubing as a support.

Attachments

• base of frame.jpg
    base of frame.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Slider 4.jpg
    Slider 4.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I want to be able to remove this at any time and didn't want to drill any additional holes in the bronco if I could help it. I used some flat plate and drilled holes that aligned with the first two hardtop holes. I drilled holes in the lip of the window and the square tubing and added nut serts (riv-nuts) to accept 8-32 stainless screws.

I used 1" square tubing to frame the doors and attach to the windshield frame similar to the way drock used the aluminum tubing.

Attachments

• Frame 3.jpg
    Frame 3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Door Frame.jpg
    Door Frame.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I should mention that I have an old Kayline top that I have owned for over 20 years that will be donating itself to this cause.

The windshield riser is from the Kayline top and I re-used a bracket in order to attach the square tubing for easy removal.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4761.jpg
    IMG_4761.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
To make it removable I sectioned the tubing that runs under the lip of the window and made a collar to hold it in place. So, with the lower section of the window secured, my focus was on the top.

I may change this later, but I had a set of cheapo roll bar clamps that I had purchased for a light bar project that I ended up abandoning. As I mentioned earlier the Smitty Bilt bar was removed. However, the bar is where I attach my 3 point seat belts to so I cut off the rear down bars and mounted it a few inches forward of the original location in order to add the seat belts back in.

This allowed me to use the clamps on the bar and drill a couple holes in the upper portion of the window frame for a solid connection to the bar.

Again, I want to re-do my bar and my plan is a Stroppe-type bar with some bends to go around the new window but more to come on that later.

Attachments

• Slider 6.jpg
    Slider 6.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Slider 8.jpg
    Slider 8.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 34
  • clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: