• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Difference between 76 hub and earlier

mbhaddad

I'm in the process of doing a drum to disc conversion on a 73 using the wildwood kit. It seems i have purchased a hub from a 76 bronco, what exactly are the difference and will the 76 hub work on the 73 spindle and with the brake kit?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Enough that one won't work with the other when it comes to Wilwood I would not think.
They expect to see exactly the stuff that the kit is designed for usually.
So aside from the obvious 5-bolts (disc) vs 6-bolts (drum) spindles, the bearing spacing on the spindle, and therefor the hub, is different as well I believe. Even though most of them use the same bearing numbers, they're farther apart. Not sure how that effects your setup, but it's a difference of note.
But a huge difference would be the flange area where the drum or rotor would mount. Two completely different units in that area from what I remember. So if Wilwood is supplying the rotor, the diameter and bolt pattern would be the same, but the hat/cover area might not fit over the flange correctly.
Again, don't know, but those sound like stumbling blocks.

Never had the two side by side to compare directly though, so might be incorrect on some of that.

Anything from Wilwood is going to be fitted to a pretty specific component. If you have a different starting point, nothing in their kit is going to work. If the company says you need a hub from a drum brake truck, that's what you need. If it says you need to source a '76 or later disc hub, then that's what you need.

Sounds like it's expecting to see all drum brake stuff.

Hope I'm wrong. Someone will chime in to correct me if so.
Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mbhaddad

DC_Gearhead

Ahhh. These Broncos need some massaging sometimes. Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk