• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing the Emergency Brake

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Anyone who lives in Massachusetts knows how fun it is to get an inspection sticker for their wagon. Unfortunately, I passed everything but the emergency brake test.

It looks like the e-brake cable snapped right off whatever it was attached to (yes, that is a technical term). I'm trying to figure out where the cable connects to the e-brake pedal so I can try to do a quick fix before my 20-day rejection still period is up. I tried searching for how-to videos/articles on installing the dang thing but nothing has come up yet.

Any help with this issue is much appreciated.

Attachments

• driverside.jpg
    driverside.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 76
  • underneath.jpg
    underneath.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 75
  • underneath-cable.jpg
    underneath-cable.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 72

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, get the new cable and it is pretty easy to figure out. Hook the inner cable to the little catch in the pedal assembly, get the cable routed, and hook it up under the floor. Under the floor there is a bar with a spring. Hopefully that is all. Good luck

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
The only quick fix I see is to whoever did that floor repair job%)%) the cable use to go through the floor where that hole is covered by the repair panel that's laid over the top of the original floor. and it appears the retainer plate that is/was welded to the original floor the center portion is punched out and still attatched to the cable assembly...

and the cable itself seems the the inner cable is not there ,from your picture .

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Thanks, guys! This is a huge help. I'm sure I have more questions and I'll let you know how it all ends up.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Is there a generic parking brake cable I can pick up from an Advance or AutoZone that would fit the '77 or are they all specific to my model/year?

It looks like I can get this one delivered by early next week for free: https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...parking-emergency-brake-cable-c9172/14442_0_0

there vehicle specific ,,,call northeast classic bronco parts[delconick]may have some and even possible good used ones worth a shot...good luck ''

may even have the damaged floor plate ?

the link you posted the pic is of one of the rear cables not the front one there are actually 3 cables on your truck ..so you need the front cable ,and you should check out the other cables to see if they will function as well sometimes the cables can be rusted/seized up...