• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's going to break when you add HP & Torque?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
FYI for any one following along. Cab and chassis hubs are available new in the after market.

14 bolt hub

And not crazy expensive. Not cheap but one of the cheaper 8 lug hubs. I like the 14 bolt hubs for the 1/2” bolts they use versus the 7/16” that Dana uses for the axle flange bolts.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
FYI for any one following along. Cab and chassis hubs are available new in the after market.

14 bolt hub

And not crazy expensive. Not cheap but one of the cheaper 8 lug hubs. I like the 14 bolt hubs for the 1/2” bolts they use versus the 7/16” that Dana uses for the axle flange bolts.
I have a couple sets. FYI for everyone the axles are the same regardless of what hubs you use as long as they’re the same generation.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Take the wheels off, run a straightedge across the surface that the wheel bolts to... there ya go.

What WMS measurement do you need/want? I haven't seen what width track you are looking for.

Go to the Pirate 14 bolt bible writeup and compare what hub the one above has, then by double checking the year, look at the C&C hub to see what the width will be.

seanwanlass

Everything Steve said above about newer trucks, axle spline counts, shaft diameters, etc just re-affirms that the Bronco is a 1/4 ton rated vehicle and it shows. People ONLY think HP kills parts and they are SO FAR from the truth. It gets so tiresome replying to the same mindset. All of us responding to this post agree (I hope so by now).

Spring perches, shock mounts and you can literally slap/bolt a disc brake kit on and bolt it all up (minor things like ujoint straps/caps, etc) but it will be done once.

Caveat on my build. I am a nit-picker for doing things as cost concious and as strong as I can afford and need. My willingness to look at numbers, data, whether I need to make .250" spacer rings so I can use a hub not designed to fit on a 14 bolt axle but make it fit because it makes my WMS .500" narrower then I'll spend a week to do it. You don't have to. Get a C&C rear, swap the gears and carrier to your ratio and locker of choice, bolt on a disc brake kit and slide it under your Bronco. You WILL NEED to move the spring pads on whatever 9" axle you buy anyway because your engine/trans/t-case is a different length than stock and it's imperative that your pinion angle is correct.

SO comparing it to a 9" install you are essentially welding on shock mounts and a couple other little items. It really is that simple (unless I forgot something obvious)! :)

Like rocknhorse said, a 14 bolt is not overkill and minimal fab work.
Thanks To nvrstuk and yeller , I'm now looking for a 14 bolt :rolleyes::LOL:$$$$$:ROFLMAO:

nvrstuk

Contributor
We have something else in common- Steve talked us both into 14 bolts.

;)

I can tell ya you will never regret it. ;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As for the original post, 14-bolt is probably way overkill. To the detriment to overall ride quality. It is a big lump of a strong axle. And weight down low is great off-road. But a heavy axle hurts ride quality on a street rig.

nvrstuk

Contributor
As for the original post, 14-bolt is probably way overkill. To the detriment to overall ride quality. It is a big lump of a strong axle. And weight down low is great off-road. But a heavy axle hurts ride quality on a street rig.
If he's going with a fabbed housing to keep 9" brg failures from occurring when he bends the weak, stock 9" housing I weighed (in my large build thread) the difference in overall weights between the 14 bolt & the fabricated 9" w/FF.

Understand what your saying tho.

If I remember correctly it's less than 20#'s difference. Tire & wheel choice can makeup more than that difference. Struts vrs leafs all ki ds of ways to lower unsprung weight.

The benefit of a FF axle has been typed but the benefits have not been emphasized at all.
Those of us who have built FF for the many benefits know what they are and worth every penny.

I won't run a 9" in a 4x4 anymore. I have experienced all the reasons over the 48 yrs I've owned/driven/wheeled it and IMHO- not worth it to me when there's cheaper; better options.

Once again your choice but weighing the pros & cons is easy for us but you're the owner/builder and the actual choice is yours. :)

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
After having my previous EB (72) for 2 years, I look d at getting a set of 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axles from a military vehicle to put under the EB. What kept me from doing that was that combination required getting a set of corvette differentials mounted on top of each axel. I was broker back then worse than I am now, and that was just too many $$$$$$to pursue.

Randy

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Decision made.....Wild Horse 35 spline solution including new housing. Purchased and no looking back. Thanks for all of the help.

WH4x4......what a great company to work with!!!!

Now back to my LS build thread. :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yup, best of with the new setup.

What locker? :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Lockers double the load so he can grenade more.... other things- not rear ends! :)

hossbronco

Contributor
Don’t forget the Wrap Trap. At just over $200, that’s cheap insurance. You’ll want something to keep your axle from twisting with all that power.

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I'm now 2x my original budget. Happy with every decision. Just don't tell my wife!
I’m just gonna say that we’ve all said things that we wouldn’t want our significant others to know about. That being said, we’re ALL just a tad bit scared to admit we heard anything that might get back to the spouse.

Randy

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Regarding axle wrap, the WH solution and the Duff solution are a bit different. Duff has torque arm support on both top and bottom of the 3rd member, where WH has just the top. They are also significantly more expensive 2+X.

What are the opinions for my setup needs?