• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone used Autozone parking brake cables? UPDATE Raybestos are terrible

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This weekend's project was to finally get to the leaky rear wheel cylinders. My parking brake has never worked well and I know the passenger side rear cable is frayed. Tearing the brakes apart today it's obvious that both need to be replaced.

Autozone has replacement cables and I've got a gift card to use. In the pictures on their website, the cables seem much less heavy duty than the OEM ones. The fingers that hold them in the backing plates seem particularly weak.

Anyone ever used local autopart store cables? Any opinions?

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
They will be made in China.

The Chinese are working very hard at driving the last US brake cable maker out of business by dumping their product on the US market at below cost.
Of course after they have a monopoly they will not need to have low prices.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Control Cables in Sante Fe Springs, CA can make custom cables to whatever specifications you want. You pay custom prices, but they're still cheaper and better IMO than Lokar universal cut-to-fit cables.

KyddsPly

I think I have a set of cables in my garage. I can check if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I tried a set of parts store cables, don't remember which brand but I think Oreilly. They were so bad I didn't bother to install and ended up returning them. I found a decent used set instead.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
So I bought a set of Raybestos cables from CJ Pony parts and boy do they suck. The fittings that press into the backing plates are 3/32 too small so the cable just wiggles around in the hole. Does the manufacturer not realize a press fit item should press in tightly and securely?

Has anyone ever found aftermarket parking brake cables that work well?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
BC's seemed fine/great but we were hooking them up to BC's rear Caddy calipers if that matters....

And yes they were available separately.

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thanks. I know the caddy calipers would use different cables than stock rear drums, but I'll check to see if BC has stock cables.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
This weekend's project was to finally get to the leaky rear wheel cylinders. My parking brake has never worked well and I know the passenger side rear cable is frayed. Tearing the brakes apart today it's obvious that both need to be replaced.

Autozone has replacement cables and I've got a gift card to use. In the pictures on their website, the cables seem much less heavy duty than the OEM ones. The fingers that hold them in the backing plates seem particularly weak.

Anyone ever used local autopart store cables? Any opinions?
I may try and do that one weekend too, I think my park pawl will thank me%) of course it will be a little while. keep us posted on the cables

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I have replaced alot of park cables over the years , stock & extended . Always bought from JBG & never any problems . The style has changed over the years from really close to OEM to now black sheathed cables but still tight fit & such .
But the way aftermarket parts are going , in reality you never know what you're actually going to receive . :p

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Every single picture I see from Autozone to Napa to Bruin all look like the crap I got from Raybestos. The portion that clips into the backing plate is so light duty compared to OEM. You'd think in 50 years, the parts would improve vs. what Ford engineered in the '60s.

Looks like I'm making some calls tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I have replaced alot of park cables over the years , stock & extended . Always bought from JBG & never any problems . The style has changed over the years from really close to OEM to now black sheathed cables but still tight fit & such .
But the way aftermarket parts are going , in reality you never know what you're actually going to receive . :p

X2 on this. I used extended from Jeff's, install went fine, seems like a quality cable, no problems yet.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I just got my Raybestos cables and they do suck! Doing a complete resto and they build crap that I wouldn't put on the truck. The right hand one has hose clamps on it to adjust the sheathing to fit. They must have hired Mickey Mouse. Just going to clean up the old ones and use.

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I remember when I replaced mine, I got cables from one vendor (can't remember who anymore) and the passenger cable had a crappy rubber sleeve in the middle so you could adjust the length. It would just buckle and you could never get enough tension for it to be functional. Went to another vendor and they had a nice solid sheathed cable. Wish I could remember now who was who, but at least it points to the fact that they don't all sell the same crap...

SeanT4x4

Are the ones from Toms and WH just as bad? Ive been meaning to do this myself