• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone used this to vent an EFI tank?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have my new fancy aluminum tank installed with all new lines (rubber and metal). I added a 3/8" vent to the tank for both fill and accommodate expansion of the fuel when temperatures change. The current vent goes up into the driver side rear wheel well above the filler neck and has a 180 degree bend to keep dirt and moisture out.

I want minimize vapors from evaporation building up in the garage. This valve from Dorman (GM knock off) might be the ticket

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6JCLE/ref=psdc_15728221_t1_B00252QIKM

I have plenty of air volume in the tank to accommodate any reasonable change in volume during most running conditions. But the rig sits inside for a week or two at a time and I get a little odor from evaporation. This valve from what I have read has a 1 psi limit - once the pressure on the port reaches 1 psi it opens to the other port. I think this will eliminate evaporation but allow it to vent on a really hot day as need but close again automatically.

Anyone try this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks cool, but wouldn't it take a specialized fitting in the metal to lock into?

Paul

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If the small fitting is the air "in" - pressure from tank - then my vent hose could clamp to that. Then the other end is just open to the air. I could just wire tie it somewhere out of the way.

If it works the other way I think I could fit a larger piece of hose over the end with the o-ring and clamp it then this would go to my tank. The small end would be the vent to air so I can just clamp it out of the way.

This all assumes the scale is reasonable. I could also find a Chevy truck in a junk yard (insert Chevy jokes!) and grab the external canister that it looks like it goes into.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, the big end is supposed to be in the tank and the small end goes to the charcoal canister.

All fumes are vented outward (and air inward to make up for fuel used by the engine), through the small end to the canister and if the vehicle rolls over and liquid fuel hits the big end, gravity plus the weight of the fuel would close off the internal valve so that gas does not get up to the canister.

Paul

Joe473

I have my new fancy aluminum tank installed with all new lines (rubber and metal). I added a 3/8" vent to the tank for both fill and accommodate expansion of the fuel when temperatures change. The current vent goes up into the driver side rear wheel well above the filler neck and has a 180 degree bend to keep dirt and moisture out.

I want minimize vapors from evaporation building up in the garage. This valve from Dorman (GM knock off) might be the ticket

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6JCLE/ref=psdc_15728221_t1_B00252QIKM

I have plenty of air volume in the tank to accommodate any reasonable change in volume during most running conditions. But the rig sits inside for a week or two at a time and I get a little odor from evaporation. This valve from what I have read has a 1 psi limit - once the pressure on the port reaches 1 psi it opens to the other port. I think this will eliminate evaporation but allow it to vent on a really hot day as need but close again automatically.

Anyone try this?
Go here. Found this years ago when I considered building my own tank. Lots of accessories for vents pump set up gauges etc. If you were building your own tank they have all the misc parts.

http://www.tanksinc.com

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you just need a functional charcoal canister setup. The canister purge is probably trickier then the actual venting into the canister. Factory EFI it is easy, the computer take care of it. Carbs it is harder.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have aftermarket EFI and a custom tank with the pump mounted on a frame rail. I'll buy one and see if I can make an adapter to make the large end fit my tank vent. I'm not concerned about emissions or roll over (hopefully!!). I want to keep the fumes in the tank and not freely evaporating into my garage.

The tank inc option is just a check valve - really just a roll over valve. While sitting it will allow fumes to evaporate out.

I'll see if I can find a Chevy in a yard or buy it on Amazon they are cheap enough.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
How are you going to reach inside the tank to tighten the nut on the back of it to hold it in the tank?

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have a 3/8 vent now with a hose on it - ideally I will adapt that to the valve. Little block that fits the valve on one end and a 3/8 hose barb on the other I'm thinking. At least it should prevent evaporation until it gets over 1 psi. I think..

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I had to make a compact charcoal vent filter for a cobra replica. I used a little glass inline fuel filter, removed the filter element, and filled the housing with crushed charcoal. It worked amazingly well.

The fitting you referenced is big end in little end out so unless you have a method to get the vapors into the big end it won't really do much for you.

chriskent85

I had to make a compact charcoal vent filter for a cobra replica. I used a little glass inline fuel filter, removed the filter element, and filled the housing with crushed charcoal. It worked amazingly well.

The fitting you referenced is big end in little end out so unless you have a method to get the vapors into the big end it won't really do much for you.

So you just vented it out of the filter?

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
So you just vented it out of the filter?

YEP! If you search factory five charcoal canister on google you will see lots of ABS and PVC homemade vents. They work really well. I used the smaller glass filter and it was fine

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If You have a vent tube available on both sides of the tank run a line between them and put a tee in the middle for your vent line, then loop it up high in the wheel well or tail light housing and put a fuel filter on the end. The only time you’ll smell fuel is if you park it in the garage with the tank over full. The vent lines on each side keep the fuel from covering the vent and pushing out the line, it’s highly unlikely to cover them both at the same time.