• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone used Tom Wood's Driveshafts?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I will just reiterate that Tom Wood's products are top notch- but I think their custom service is even better.

I've used them for over 25 years and never had an issue with build quality. Excellent and FAST service. Much cheaper than ANY driveline shop within 90 miles of my house that I have checked...and I've checked them all... :)

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went with Tom Woods after doing my suspension upgrades and couldn't have been happier. I'm of the belief that if I have a spare rear drive shaft on-hand I will never need it. When I ordered my shafts I told them I wanted a spare rear shaft and even though I told them I wanted the spare they told me they offer a special deal when ordering a spare. They could've easily charged me full price but didn't. I've never taken the spare out of the box. Lol

b2oC9zDssjCBd9BEVkbHPh4al4FAcZe38yNWXzneo_6Gf1PlLOvKDqP3fHprRU7J5Mnxj5CicMpi7-A8axuKKpIodOA2Vfo1ZX_0GJSFKJHI6I6x47V3TXKTUL4MSA0IU9O2oACfokKrvOOBbVqBM0-mvNAJvMromEoZ67DXXOq0IJxj1tMVuR65P7r3O7JDrqMWqLI4l7IL67T-crMHFkYSbrZbzMZwZ3wndmpbGT8nspS8H0AcnTq_-pFFwnjZCUrPGeY69p4xUVqvPmdjKfim0K8U--Yv-kstxJCHfbpVLyqv9qBHQgK7evNoIekg_RdLuG1d6JO4gBQ31AqNXiZg4dBHHYS-SlNKpmxHLS50mxWUdqLXsmp24TA0H4-2La6owUo5KWYyM6h4ZaIdRXZMK7I0DfXDzPzBtwijhXFrBILg7m-szwXO2SUwQBruuJm5BJJxsCWzsKWaBVYIGDeUFdNuT_z4QCF0aqbW8V59KiIeo8Rqu0TM5_RGwwxI1VbC09-M1jIb5NqoAqWhRAGIQHtWDkrENNWDmuFvY1Tr5ib3FkGV9Ij6nKLP5T6rXvPeVgaFSsx26ANBmKPpIGyWsGQHhozGZMY0ZWIcIHLN84zUuz2T2cWz791mq3FfEHmbneVKLYDV0dE4ihEjr0VzQEbkb6VW=w618-h348-no

valveamp

On the way home my rear drive shaft broke. No problem, I thought, I'll just drive home on the fronts. Turns out this was right after I put in a front e-locker and there was a problem with one of the front hubs not locking. I couldn't drive on anything. Anyway, after getting towed home, I ordered new front and rear shafts from Tom Woods. Assuming they make them to order, it was impressive how fast they arrived. Of course, they may have been made up in advance, but I didn't get that feeling when I ordered them. Looked to be of good quality. I installed them and have not had a problem since. I just need to remember to lube the joints. :) Recommended.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you sure they were pre-made? I have watched a shaft being made at a local shop, maybe 20 minutes? It was a kit. yokes and such already built. Just cut tube to length, align, press fit, put in the lathe/balancer, check/adjust runout, burn it together, check runout, spin test, add weights, spin test, paint and do paperwork while the paint dries.

I remember the off-road shops in Moab carried the more common Jeep shafts pre-made.

valveamp

No, I wasn't saying they were pre-made, just that they were fast and MAYBE were premade, but I have no way of knowing that. I'm sure, like you say, they have the parts or kits ready and can weld them up in no time. That would make more sense.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Tom Wood's Driveshaft is one of those businesses that once you use them, you will never look elsewhere.

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
I've been to their shop to pick up one up and they build them to order. Great product and great guys over there...also Geaux Tigers!

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
Tom has been doing driveshafts since the 90's at least, I had him do the front and rear shafts for my 69 bronco way back in 1995, after I did the Cold Duck dual Dana 20. At the time, he was the only guy that knew and was willing to tell me where to set the pinion angle, transfer case angle, and make a special clearanced double cardan joint driveshaft for the rear. It's been 24 years and I remember it was a pleasure to talk with him.