• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone used Tom Wood's Driveshafts?

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After installing a 4r70w transmission, I need to replace my driveshafts with something to accommodate the adjusted length.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
T Woods is the best. I have em front and rear. If you call WH and give them your measurements they will have one made for you. Just remember to measure from center of yoke to center of yoke. ;)

bchesley

They build top notch drive shafts. I have one on my IH Scout and just installed one for the front of my Bronco. You won't be disappointed.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got front and rear after my 4r70 swap with 3.5 SL great quality

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tom Woods is good. Make sure you get the correct diameter tube to clear the transmission.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great question. I don't know how many choices there are in shaft diameter overall, but we carry two sizes in stock.
Our Level-1 shafts would be similar in diameter to the stock shafts, while the Extreme shafts use a smaller diameter, thicker wall tubing.
And in all these years, this discussion has served to point out the fact that I never checked them!%):-[

Let me see if I can get a quick answer that we can compare to what spap (actually broncobowsher) says when he reports back.

Paul

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
That's a great question. I don't know how many choices there are in shaft diameter overall, but we carry two sizes in stock.
Our Level-1 shafts would be similar in diameter to the stock shafts, while the Extreme shafts use a smaller diameter, thicker wall tubing.
And in all these years, this discussion has served to point out the fact that I never checked them!%):-[

Let me see if I can get a quick answer that we can compare to what spap says when he reports back.

Paul

Paul,

Just measure the diameter on your 68 front shaft... Hint, Hint... ;) I want to say 2 inches or there about...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like both of our styles are now utilizing the smaller tubing. Which is approx. 2" diameter.

If anyone has a stock (after '70) shaft lying around they can measure we can have the comparison.
After the front shafts were changed to Spicer, I believe all front and rear stock shafts were the same size. I would say 2.5" as a guess.
There were some earlier shafts using a smaller diameter (pretty sure, but not guaranteed), which I think were front only.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry Doug, didn't see your post until after I hit the reply button.

Thanks for the tip!

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 4R70W + D20 combo required ½" smaller diameter shaft to clear the stock transmission pan. That resulted in a 2" instead of the normal 2½" shaft. Standard D44 front axle as well (all these little details add up). The good part is very little clearance is actually needed. There is almost no lateral movement at the transfer case end of the driveshaft.

Broncoredneck

Loc.
Omaha NEBRASKA
I’ve got front and back from Tom woods with a c4 Dana 20 and gonna be swapping out to a 4r70w and Dana 20 in a few weeks. Gonna have to get mine re-tubed after the swap for length. The process is easy and cheaper than any local shop. They are my choice for driveshafts.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want to say my stock rear 73 shaft is north of 3 inches in diameter, its huuuuge.