• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to replace column wiring?

Dawg_enD

Hello all!

Sorry if this is a dumb one... but I've never got into the column before. My Bronco has a few wiring issues that are column related I believe. I am planning on replacing the column wiring harness. Because I have so very little time to wrench these days, I'm trying to get my mind around how to get into it before actually start. Otherwise I'll end up with no Bronco for a few months...which I hate.

Cany anyone point me towards a how-to on this? Stock column with an auto on a 74, if that matters.

Thanks all,
-Mike

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, get your new turn signal switch, and a terminal tool like the Lilse 56500. Remove the steering wheel with a puller like the Lilse 45000. Remove the old turn signal switch. Some guys will cut the wires off of the old switch, and use it as a snake, to pull the wires from the new switch through the steering column. The clean way to do the job is to remove the old wires from the plugs with the terminal tool. Another way is to cut and splice each wire to the old wires. Keep track of the wire colors. When I remove the wires with a terminal tool, I do them one at a time so they don't get crossed up. On older cars, I clean up the contact rings for the horn on the steering wheel. Good luck

fluffybunny

Contributor
I feed the wires down the tube individually starting with the smallest wires first and the bigger ones last. Make sure that you pull all of the slack out of them at the top where you feed them in before screwing down down the switch. I've never tried just cutting off the old wires at the top and using them as a snake but I like that idea.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Take a picture of where the wires are positioned in the harness plug...
But that doesn't necessarily mean the replacement switch will have the same colored wires...
Make notes as I had to do with this 75EB with an early column and an aftermarket turn signal switch / AAW harness.
Plug/wires picture is from a 79 Bronco and should not be used as a reference (but it is probably close)

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_170111788.jpg
    IMG_20231122_170111788.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231112_161034298_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231112_161034298_HDR.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
D

Dawg_enD

Thank you all! I assumed I'd need to pull the column to get this done, sounds like I don't need to. I'll get the parts (and tools) ordered in a few days!

fluffybunny

Contributor
No column removal needed. The wires feed out of the column under the dash. Get limber since you'll be upside down under the dash.