• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for pictures of 1974 original engine bay and wiring routing for solenoid

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
dc5355126709244f2866b6099d00ae46.jpg
eaefcdcade6261a70bbd91945d59bf32.jpg
6d17812eb437d8705bcbf7064cc7c598.jpg

Those are the only ones of my old 74 I can find right now. Bone stock never messed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does your '74 have the horn relay, or the old style without?
That's the year Ford changed to the relay for the Bronco, but not all early '74's got it.

Either way your starter relay/solenoid should be wired thusly%) :

1. Large left stud:
Positive battery cable.
Black (or Black w/red stripe) wire with molded ring terminal / fusible link
Yellow wire (also likely with fusible link (green end sometimes?) for horn relay power (If so equipped)

2. Small Left Stud (often marked "S"):
Small Red w/blue stripe wire

3. Small Right Stud (often marked "I")
Small Brown wire

4. Large Right Stud:
Cable to starter.

If yours does not have the horn relay, all connections are the same with the exception of you won't have a Yellow wire on the battery side.

Under normal conditions, these are the ONLY wires connected to the starter relay. But if going EFI then there is often a START SIGNAL wire connection from the EFI harness.

If you have additional power requirements, they can often be attached to the large left battery stud. But you run out of room fairly quickly sometimes and might have to resort to Plan-B

If you're replacing any of this stuff with new, for a few pennies more, go with at least 4ga battery and starter cables. Ford used 6ga, which is adequate under normal circumstances. But 4 is better in the CYA department, and costs just a little more. And 2ga is just "better" for the same reason.
Not required. Just nice to have when you really need it.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Nemisus

Loc.
North Bay, CA
This is great! Thanks for sharing.

I would be very interested in seeing the power steering pump on this 74!! I am not completely convinced the one on my 74 is the period correct pump.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
broncofiresmith

broncofiresmith

Great help. Thank you

Does your '74 have the horn relay, or the old style without?
That's the year Ford changed to the relay for the Bronco, but not all early '74's got it.

Either way your starter relay/solenoid should be wired thusly%) :

1. Large left stud:
Positive battery cable.
Black (or Black w/red stripe) wire with molded ring terminal / fusible link
Yellow wire (also likely with fusible link (green end sometimes?) for horn relay power (If so equipped)

2. Small Left Stud (often marked "S"):
Small Red w/blue stripe wire

3. Small Right Stud (often marked "I")
Small Brown wire

4. Large Right Stud:
Cable to starter.

If yours does not have the horn relay, all connections are the same with the exception of you won't have a Yellow wire on the battery side.

Under normal conditions, these are the ONLY wires connected to the starter relay. But if going EFI then there is often a START SIGNAL wire connection from the EFI harness.

If you have additional power requirements, they can often be attached to the large left battery stud. But you run out of room fairly quickly sometimes and might have to resort to Plan-B

If you're replacing any of this stuff with new, for a few pennies more, go with at least 4ga battery and starter cables. Ford used 6ga, which is adequate under normal circumstances. But 4 is better in the CYA department, and costs just a little more. And 2ga is just "better" for the same reason.
Not required. Just nice to have when you really need it.

Hope that helps.

Paul