• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '71 Bronco Build

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Here's a few..

Attachments

• DSC00055.JPG
    DSC00055.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00044.JPG
    DSC00044.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Here's a few..

Thanks for those pics, that helps. As far as the gasket you mentioned, do I get one for the tail adapter or the transfer case, if it matters.

And what is the plan for the twin stick setup? Are you going to have to remove those posts that are on the side of the tail housing and am waiting to see how much has to be removed when you get the twin setup?

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Thanks for those pics, that helps. As far as the gasket you mentioned, do I get one for the tail adapter or the transfer case, if it matters.

And what is the plan for the twin stick setup? Are you going to have to remove those posts that are on the side of the tail housing and am waiting to see how much has to be removed when you get the twin setup?

Yes, just the stock tailshaft to T/case gasket. The twin sticks mount to those towers you mention. So, they'll have to remain. It's going to be a while before I get that far, but I'll certainly post the pic's when I do. Take a look at JB Fab's website for a bit more info.. Others have installed them here, a search may turn up more info..

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Yes, just the stock tailshaft to T/case gasket. The twin sticks mount to those towers you mention. So, they'll have to remain. It's going to be a while before I get that far, but I'll certainly post the pic's when I do. Take a look at JB Fab's website for a bit more info.. Others have installed them here, a search may turn up more info..

Thanks a bunch.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I have the engine that was connected to the 4r70w that I am using and might end up swapping it in, they were out of a 99 Mountaineer.

I am debating to do it now while I have it under construction.

I also am debating getting a new efi harness as the one that is in there is a cobbled up sort of mess. It works but I have had to redo parts of it and I do not like how the previous owner did it, kind of a hack job, I have cleaned it up quite a bit but thinking go new with everything.

Is RJM still selling his or is the summit one just as good?

If I use the original motor do I use the flywheel from the 99 motor and what about the harmonic balancer?

I have long tube headers on it now, will those work?

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Here's what I got done yesterday and today

Broncotrans001.jpg

Broncotrans003.jpg

Broncotrans002.jpg

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I cleaned and painted the bottom of the bronco and now need to keep rolling along.

I would like to ID the engine that is in there and am having a hard time coming up with much. The numbers I found by the starter are EOAF DC3 20 at least that is the best I can tell.

The block is painted blue so it could be different from the original or it could have been rebuilt.

All I know is that it all had about 40,000 miles on it when I got it, that is what the odometer shows and the title also, not that it matters too much if it is or not.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: looks to be an 80's block so not original.

Think I am going to swap in the 99 5.0 I have.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Just got back in from the garage to do a compression test on the motor in the bronco and the 99 mountaineer motor.

They both tested out pretty good so now I need to decide if I want to do a motor swap along with the trans swap.

I should get a little more power from the newer motor, but there is already a decent one in place.

The results from the compression test are

99 Mountaineer motor

160 psi on the high side and 135psi on the low side with 4 cranks.
180psi on the high side and 155psi on the low side with about 8 cranks.

Engine in Bronco

155psi high side and 130 low side with 4 cranks
175 high side and 155 low side with about 8 cranks.

Blitz51

satin black

I know way back in your build you stated you used black sealer primer. What kind was it and was it rattle can or did you shoot it? I was planning to do mine satin black with gloss black accents...I didn't realize I would find some inspiration from someone on the east side of the state.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I know way back in your build you stated you used black sealer primer. What kind was it and was it rattle can or did you shoot it? I was planning to do mine satin black with gloss black accents...I didn't realize I would find some inspiration from someone on the east side of the state.

Its sherwin williams catalyzed primer in black.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Pulled the motor today and need to order motor mounts and some other things on Monday. Getting the new motor ready to go in and it looks like I might have to swap lower intakes. The one from the 99 mountaineer does not have a port for one of the sensors, I think it is the AIC sensor.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Pulled the motor today and need to order motor mounts and some other things on Monday. Getting the new motor ready to go in and it looks like I might have to swap lower intakes. The one from the 99 mountaineer does not have a port for one of the sensors, I think it is the AIC sensor.

Not sure what you mean by AIC, but if its an Intake Air Temp, that can be installed in the air cleaner. Most are located in the MAF anyhow.. Might want to see why its not where you expect and where it is on the '99.. Probably dont really need to swap the intake..

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Thats an IAT, Intake Air Temp, sensor. Probably exactly what you thought it was, i just hadnt heard the acronym you used. If you have both engines, I guess swapping isnt a bad idea. Depending on the harness you intend to use, you may want to move it though. What engine is that in the 1st pic? The second is the '99, I'm assuming.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Thats an IAT, Intake Air Temp, sensor. Probably exactly what you thought it was, i just hadnt heard the acronym you used. If you have both engines, I guess swapping isnt a bad idea. Depending on the harness you intend to use, you may want to move it though. What engine is that in the 1st pic? The second is the '99, I'm assuming.

The motor I just took out looks to be an 80's rebuild with fuel injection on it, not sure what the donor was but thought it was from an explorer. Yes the '99 is the second pic.

I thought it was called air intake charge = IAC but I see where IAT would be correct.

Blitz51

SW paint

Did you use the Sherwin Williams paint on everything or did you use something else on your inner fenders and underneath like por15? Did you just spray it in your garage with an hvlp sprayer? Sorry for the simple paint questions while it looks like you are busy with an engine swap.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Did you use the Sherwin Williams paint on everything or did you use something else on your inner fenders and underneath like por15? Did you just spray it in your garage with an hvlp sprayer? Sorry for the simple paint questions while it looks like you are busy with an engine swap.

The engine compartment is black basecoat with hardener from what I remember.
The bottom is sprayed with por but I would not bother using that stuff again. Either epoxy or DP90 if you want use a catalyzed paint or satin black spray bomb like rustoleum works great and looks good.

I have done some of the paint work in my garage and some at work with an HVLP gun.

I just used the spray bomb on the bottom of the tub where I could not get to while the trans was still in and plan to do the same in the engine compartment.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
The motor I just took out looks to be an 80's rebuild with fuel injection on it, not sure what the donor was but thought it was from an explorer. Yes the '99 is the second pic.

I thought it was called air intake charge = IAC but I see where IAT would be correct.

The IAC is actually "Idle Air Control" which helps to control idle speed. The '99 will have the IAT in the Mass Air. But, what harness do you intend to run? You still have an option of running the IAT in the air cleaner, if you want.. But, having both, swapping might just be as easy as anything else.. Especially if you want to change gaskets before the install.

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
The IAC is actually "Idle Air Control" which helps to control idle speed. The '99 will have the IAT in the Mass Air. But, what harness do you intend to run? You still have an option of running the IAT in the air cleaner, if you want.. But, having both, swapping might just be as easy as anything else.. Especially if you want to change gaskets before the install.

There is a harness in place that was salvaged from something, I want to get a new one but dont want to have too many things going on at once, I might swap it out later. I suppose I can put that sensor in the intake tube after the maf?