• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Narrowing an 08 super 60

OP
OP
J

joshforrest12

Well little update, got the axles narrowed to where I want them. Waiting on axle shafts to come back from Dutchman's. I narrowed the front sd60 8 7/8 from the long side to have the radius arm brackets line up perfectly with the frame. The rear dana60 I got came out of a 83 ford truck. I narrowed that 2.5” each side. So that puts my axles at 60” each to fit perfectly under the bronco. I'm going with a 5.5”-6” lift on 40s. Ori struts front door no need for sway bars or shocks. Rear I'm running leafs for now and then moving to ori struts later. Mainly for cost right now. I'm already 13k into this build. Full lockers front and rear. 4 link from suspension with traction bars in the rear.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Well little update, got the axles narrowed to where I want them. Waiting on axle shafts to come back from Dutchman's. I narrowed the front sd60 8 7/8 from the long side to have the radius arm brackets line up perfectly with the frame. The rear dana60 I got came out of a 83 ford truck. I narrowed that 2.5” each side. So that puts my axles at 60” each to fit perfectly under the bronco. I'm going with a 5.5”-6” lift on 40s. Ori struts front door no need for sway bars or shocks. Rear I'm running leafs for now and then moving to ori struts later. Mainly for cost right now. I'm already 13k into this build. Full lockers front and rear. 4 link from suspension with traction bars in the rear.

Sounds like you got a great plan Josh!... Check out ADS Shocks even if you go Ori's. It's like a mile from your work. Their shocks/coil overs are at least equal to King in the off road race world and they're local if you need a re-valve or rebuild

https://adsshocks.com/

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Curious why didn't you just run a rear out of a Super Duty also?? A matching one would have the correct bolt pattern and even have disc brakes already.

t120r

I narrowed a '05 SD D60 5" in my '66. I took the length off the passenger side and it positions the pumpkin in the perfect place to clear the frame and the engine. I can almost touch the tube off my frame on max compression. Strange as it sounds, the rear suspension stops it. Max tire size without cutting the frame is 10.5", so you may want to take that into consideration. The axle is wide, but has a very tight turning radius. To run wider than 10.5", you'll have to add to the stops on the knuckle.

The tracbar is also something weird on this axle. In order to get an equal length and angle between your trac bar and drag link, you'll need an offset tracbar bracket on the frame and the other end will be right on the outer C instead of the tube.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
t120r- can I ask what your wms was on the frt axle when done? thx

t120r

t120r- can I ask what your wms was on the frt axle when done? thx

No idea, sorry. It's exactly 5" narrower than stock SD size though. I had to be painfully exact at 5" removed. So if you know the stock one, just subtract 5".

These axles are fairly wide, but they have a knuckle design that makes the wheel come in closer to the frame during turns. With my 10.5" wide tires, I almost touch the frame at full lock. I also have a 3-link and the tires just touch my lowers. you'll need to triangulate the lowers vs mounting them on the frame rails. A 12" wide tire would be seriously rub the frame and lowers. Somethings to think about.

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
No idea, sorry. It's exactly 5" narrower than stock SD size though. I had to be painfully exact at 5" removed. So if you know the stock one, just subtract 5".

These axles are fairly wide, but they have a knuckle design that makes the wheel come in closer to the frame during turns. With my 10.5" wide tires, I almost touch the frame at full lock. I also have a 3-link and the tires just touch my lowers. you'll need to triangulate the lowers vs mounting them on the frame rails. A 12" wide tire would be seriously rub the frame and lowers. Somethings to think about.

From what I've read, an 05+ SD axle is 72" WMS. That would put yours at 67" WMS. What backspacing do you have on your wheels? What size lift do you have? And What size tires? Any pics?
Thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Beast, this thing is... HEAVY beast too (w/stock brakes

Axle: 2005-2010 D60
***There is some confusion over the term "super 60". The true Super 60 is found on the F450/F550. The axle is wider, has larger knuckles, 10 lug adapters, some have a 10" ring gear and 1550 u-joints,etc.

Axle Specs:
-Tubes: 3.75" OD, 1/2" wall
-WMS to WMS: 72"
-Ring Gear: 9.75" (a 10" can be sourced from Ford in limited ratios)
-Lug Pattern: 8x170
-Wheel Studs: M14x1.50
-Weight: Approximately 750lbs loaded with brakes
-Axle shafts: 35 spline
-U-joints: 1480
-Tone ring: 60 tooth

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The tire rubbing issue I'm finding interesting. I know of several trucks with 65” wide axles running 40's and getting a minimum of 40 degrees of steering without tire rub running 3-1/2” back spacing on a 17x10 wheel.

If I remember correctly normal super duty (f250/f350) turn 37 degrees while the super 60 (f450/f550) turn 50 degrees. At 50 degrees things look broken when turned all the way. The wheel cut difference is part of the reason the axles are wider on the super 60, so the tires don't rub

t120r

From what I've read, an 05+ SD axle is 72" WMS. That would put yours at 67" WMS. What backspacing do you have on your wheels? What size lift do you have? And What size tires? Any pics?
Thanks

I'm using the stock Superduty 18" aluminum rims and 33x10.5" tires. I have 2.5" extra lift measured from top of tube to bottom of frame. Because of the diameter difference of the D60 tube to D30/44, the actual lift is a bit more.

t120r

The tire rubbing issue I'm finding interesting. I know of several trucks with 65” wide axles running 40's and getting a minimum of 40 degrees of steering without tire rub running 3-1/2” back spacing on a 17x10 wheel.

If I remember correctly normal super duty (f250/f350) turn 37 degrees while the super 60 (f450/f550) turn 50 degrees. At 50 degrees things look broken when turned all the way. The wheel cut difference is part of the reason the axles are wider on the super 60, so the tires don't rub

A 2005+ SD D60, lifted 2.5", narrowed 5", with a 12.5" tire and stock backspacing SD 18" wheels WILL rub the frame. I tried it. I resolved to a 10.5" tire.

OP
OP
J

joshforrest12

Curious why didn't you just run a rear out of a Super Duty also?? A matching one would have the correct bolt pattern and even have disc brakes already.

I had a killer deal on a 82 Dana 60 rear that had a posi in it. Got it pretty much next to nothing. Plus me working at a diff shop makes things an easy swap. The 10.5 that was listed with the 05+ Dana 60 was gutted. Would have cost me more to rebuild that. So I just took up the deal on the d60 rear.

OP
OP
J

joshforrest12

Thanks

This axle was right at 69” wms. I removed 8 7/8” from the long side which put it at just a hair over 60”. Both axles are right at 60”. I haven't gotten wheels just yet. I'm still working with precision metal fab on the lift kit. But I'll be running 40” tires. Not 100% sure on the width or backspacing just yet. I'll have to play around with it and see. I'll add some pics tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

joshforrest12

I narrowed a '05 SD D60 5" in my '66. I took the length off the passenger side and it positions the pumpkin in the perfect place to clear the frame and the engine. I can almost touch the tube off my frame on max compression. Strange as it sounds, the rear suspension stops it. Max tire size without cutting the frame is 10.5", so you may want to take that into consideration. The axle is wide, but has a very tight turning radius. To run wider than 10.5", you'll have to add to the stops on the knuckle.

The tracbar is also something weird on this axle. In order to get an equal length and angle between your trac bar and drag link, you'll need an offset tracbar bracket on the frame and the other end will be right on the outer C instead of the tube.

Yea I'll be running an hd adjustable trac bar and drag link from pmf. As well as a custom trac bar bracket from them. Everything will be sub alpha hem joints. I'll only have to drill into the frame 4 times and that's for the sub frame. 4 link front and traction bars will attach to the sub frame.

OP
OP
J

joshforrest12

So, ill be running 5.5" lift with 2" body (ax-15 trans, needed a little extra room). I should be done end of january with the build. Ordering all the axle parts tomorrow at work and still waiting for dutchmans to finish re-splining and narrowing the axle shafts. Housings go into powder next week. while housings are being powdered, ill have the suspension components ordered. thatll take about a week to have those built and powered at PMF. from there, shouldnt be terribly difficult hooking everything up. However, if you gentleman know anyone looking for a cryo'd C4 transmission and built 302, those will be up for grabs around the February. Im going a different route. I have a 427 stroker that im building right now.