• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help troubleshooting power brakes

7d1

Loc.
Fairfield,Ca
Ok, vacuum booster (aftermarket)from WH. All new lines to pads and shoes,Cheby disc. Blead the master and lines three times. Problem, when engine is running peddle isn't solid untill half way down.With lines connected I pulled the master away far enough to see it was moving with the peddle, Is there an adjustment I'm not seeing? Thankyou, Dave

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Yes, the pushrod in the booster can be unscrewed to make up tolerance if it is not engaging your master fully. If the pedal is just soft, I would check the wheel cylinders and the shoe adjustment in the rear.

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
Mine are the same way. I've adjusted everything I know to adjust and it is still too much free travel. I've just learned to drive it that way. If you come up with the answer, please let me know.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
7d1 said:
The brakes work fine just too much travel in the pedal.

If you haven't all ready,

Remove the two nuts that hold the master cylinder to the booster and separate the two. The shaft sticking out of the booster has an adjustment on the end. There should be a slight amount of clearance between the end of the booster shaft and the bottom of the hole in the mc piston. The piston must be able to fully retract or your front brakes will not release properly. This is one way to control play in the pedal.

You may have problems with the adjustment of the rear brakes if you haven't had the drums off in the rear. Check and readjust the rears.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What bore master cylinder are you using? If it's too small, you will have excessive travel.