• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

(NEW)Color for bumpers, cage and rockers

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
OK Now I just need to Know Light or dark. I was going to go with my original plan of gun metal grey then got the bumper back from being sand blasted and kind of liked the look of the lighter color of the blasted steel. So what are your thoughts: Stick with the original color like the cage or go with the lighter which matches the ranger grill, kind of a silver tone or light gun metal?

I thought I already had my mind made up till I went to the powder coat place. My original plan was to go with a gun metal grey like I've got on my cage. Then the guy there shows me the color book with like 300 plus colors to choose. Crap.. Now what, plus he had all sorts of parts there in various colors. I'm not big on black just because its so common.
So Now i'm trying to choose between: Steel grey which is darker than whats on my cage, Gunmetal like I have on the cage, White which matches up to my wimblton white paint, Near Chrome which looks like Jet Hot ceramic coating, Blue which resembles Duff Blue and of coarse standard Black.

Bumpers are protofabs and Steel Rockers. Let's hear your opinions
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Bump1.jpg
    Bump1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Bump2.jpg
    Bump2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Bump3.jpg
    Bump3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Bump4.jpg
    Bump4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 54
  • Bumps3.jpg
    Bumps3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Bumps2.jpg
    Bumps2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Bumps4.jpg
    Bumps4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
Black would match better, but Gunmetal would probably look better... ?:?
How about silver to match your Ranger grille?

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
mtfit said:
personally, I wouldnt powder coat bumpers.

Whats your take for not powder coating. My main reason is that I due alot of playing around in the dunes on the coast here in CA. My cage is painted. the first time I took it in and had it painted at an auto paint shop. Two trips later it was breaking surface rust through the paint so I took it out blasted it and rattle canned the hell out of it and again the rust has reared its ugly head. My buddies cage is coated and has yet to show one sign of rust to this day.

Lets keep those opinions coming!

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
Probably because poweder coating ahs a tendancy to chip and there is no easy way to repair it as with paint you canjust shoot it again.
Don

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
How about POR15 with a good quality topcoat in the color of your choice? This could be the best of all worlds, really great rust protection, a tough as nails finish and, depending on the topcoat choice, easy touch-up. I know POR sells many different types of paint as well as the anti-rust coating. POR15 can be sprayed for a nice smooth finish.

http://www.por15.com/

I think silver would look good for the cage and bumpers and with your silver grill it would tie the whole thing together.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I think powder coating is nice but my problem is that I'm always changing things. Cutting something off here, welding on a new bracket there...powder coat is too hard to work with when you want to do some mods. That's why I picked a common rattle can color for all of my bumpers/undercarriage/rockarmor/cage. And when you make big gouges in it in the rocks you can't touch it up easily.

If you don't foresee any further mods and you don't get into the rocks much, and especially considering your proximity to salty air, I think powder coating is a pretty good way to go. Of the color choices you mentioned, I think I would go with the gunmetal grey. I would probably choose something a little lighter though, like a medium (battleship?) gray, and non-metallic.

Nice looking rig there.

Dusty

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I think the Rust Bullet or POR-15 suggestion would meet your needs and is fixable and with RB, the aluminum color looks cool and is very durable and has a decent texture...of course you can topcoat to any color at all. Or why not have it Line-X ed (any color you want)...bonds best to bare steel...and forget about it. I like the gun metal gray.

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Thanks for all the opinions so far as well as the compliments on my rig. Like most of you suggested I think I'm probably going to stick with my original choice of gun metal grey. I guess now I'm just kind of second guessing my decision on to powder coat or go Rust bullet and paint. It would be nice to be able to do some easy touch up but the thought of taking all this stuff down having it all blasted then bringing it all home to RB then to paint kind of makes me cringe %) Never used rust bullet. Is it an easy process? or is it going to be a messy gloppy nightmare?

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Light or dark

OK Now I just need to Know Light or dark. I was going to go with my original plan of gun metal grey then got the bumper back from being sand blast and kind of liked the look of the lighter color. So what are your thoughts; Stick with the original color like the cage or go with the lighter which matches the ranger grill, kind of a silver tone or light gun metal?

Attachments

• Bump3.jpg
    Bump3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Bumps4.jpg
    Bumps4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Bumps3.jpg
    Bumps3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Bumps1.jpg
    Bumps1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 27
  • Bump4.jpg
    Bump4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 19

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
Ilike the looks of the gunmetal! I am getting the sme Protofab bumper soon. Is the bumper going to be that height perminately, or is there a body lift mod for it so it will bring it up higher?

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Jamers said:
Ilike the looks of the gunmetal! I am getting the sme Protofab bumper soon. Is the bumper going to be that height perminately, or is there a body lift mod for it so it will bring it up higher?

;D The bumper is not mounted. Its just sitting on a box in front of the bronco. When mounted it sits up in line with the body with no gap showing

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
DJM75 said:
Probably because poweder coating ahs a tendancy to chip and there is no easy way to repair it as with paint you canjust shoot it again.
Don

chip? someone's not applying enough. the pcing don did for me is tough!! I use por15 (for quite some time). I can recommend that; but whatever you put over it is going to chip before pcing will (not including line-x, etc).