• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New gear reduction starter now has extended crank

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
74 bronco that has a 92 5.0 ho that has been converted to a 600 Holley carb with a hei distributor. The original starter was getting weak and turning the engine over slow but it would fire right up. I swapped it out to a gear reduction starter this weekend and it now has an extended crank before it will start. The engine spins over a lot faster with this new starter now. When I’m saying extended crank, I’m meaning it may take anywhere from 1-5 minutes trying it off and on to get it to fire up. Once it starts it runs great as it always has. During the extended crank it smells like it’s loading up on fuel.

Anyone experienced this or have any ideas where to start? 12.5v at battery not running. 13.5v running. Could it be a bad ground?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lack of spark during cranking is my likely guess. How did you wire the HEI? What did you do about the ballast resistor in the harness? What about the wire that was on the "I" terminal of the original starter solenoid?

OP
OP
Ryanlt

Ryanlt

Loc.
Douglas, Ga
Everything is the same as it has been for almost 10 years. Solenoid is still functional as it sends momentary power to the solenoid/actuator on the starter. The hot side of the original solenoid powers the main power wire to the starter at all times.

It ended up being the solenoid wasn’t sending voltage to the coil while in the ignition switch is in the start position