• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New gear reduction starter install

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I finally got around to replacing my old style starter a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I would post a quick description and pics. This is not new info and has been covered before, but I had my camera handy so I might as well write it up, right?

The newer gear reduction starters can be had for about $70, either locally or through most of the Bronco vendors. I got a ProAmp 3223 (manual trans) which fits 1992-1996 Ford trucks. They're smaller, more powerful and draw less amps than the original equipment starters from the 60's & 70's.

The install is almost plug and play, but not quite. You need to swap the starter cable connection and create one new lead wire. Otherwise it's no more work than replacing your starter.

1. Disconnect battery.
  2. Remove old starter cable.
  3. Create a new 10 or 12 ga wire the same length as the starter cable and zip tie the two together in a few spots.
  4. Connect the cable and new wire to the new starter (I found it easier to wire up, then install the starter since its a bit tight to connect the wires once the starter is installed)
  5. Remove the old starter and install the new one in its place. Enjoy how light and easy the new starter is to install compared to the old beast.
  6. Connect the starter cable to the opposite post of the fender mounted solenoid/relay. Connect the new lead wire to the post where the starter cable was originally connected.

Comparing old and new starters:
bronco_gear_reduction_starter_upgrade_01.jpg

Original starter cable and new lead wire:
bronco_gear_reduction_starter_upgrade_06.jpg

Connections at new starter:
bronco_gear_reduction_starter_upgrade_07.jpg

New starter ready to go in:
bronco_gear_reduction_starter_upgrade_08.jpg

Connections at fender mounted solenoid (relay):
bronco_gear_reduction_starter_upgrade_00.gif

Last edited:

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Nice write up Jon. I have one of those starters in my Bronco, I've started it up with only 10.7v in the battery.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Easiest way to do this is get a starter, wiring, solenoid relay off an f150/250 or explorer and replace it all

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I sure like mine. Autozone. New. $90.00.
I didn't realize how different it would sound.
I like that new sound.

Tulsa76bronco

Question

Jon
I installed my new started like yours and fired it up. Wouldn't start, made noise like it was on but like it wasn't spinning fly wheel?
Any suggestions

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Maybe you have the wrong starter. Some are transmission specific ie manual or auto. Also some of the starters out there are made overseas and there specs are not right.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Jon
I installed my new started like yours and fired it up. Wouldn't start, made noise like it was on but like it wasn't spinning fly wheel?
Any suggestions
So the starter is spinning, but not engaging the flywheel teeth? Sounds like it's the wrong starter or not seated properly.

Automatics and manual transmissions use different depth starters (as a general rule w/ some exceptions) because the flywheel teeth are set back a different distance from the engine block plate. From memory I think the automatic starter has the longer nose.

So if you have an automatic, but bought a manual trans starter then the nose cone wouldn't be deep enough, which is maybe why yours isn't engaging with the flywheel.

Tulsa76bronco

My thought too broncnaz got this from online they sent me one and I had to send it back so I called them and told them exactly what I have 302, automatic with AOD 164 tooth flywheel and the guy assured me the new one he was sending me was for my setup, guess I will have to make a call again....should have went with one of the vendors on here

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
My thought too broncnaz got this from online they sent me one and I had to send it back so I called them and told them exactly what I have 302, automatic with AOD 164 tooth flywheel and the guy assured me the new one he was sending me was for my setup, guess I will have to make a call again....should have went with one of the vendors on here

1993 Mustang AOD went to mini starter. Not sure Bronco wise, but I'd imagine it should bolt right up.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Take some measurements: lay a straightedge across the bellhousing, then measure to the ring gear. Compare that to the distance from the starter's mounting surface to the extended position of the drive gear. Do you still have the original starter that used to work?

Tulsa76bronco

I just ordered one from bronco Graveyard told them what I have 302, AOD automatic etc. figured they should know what I need. Yes still have the old starter