• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non-permanent sealant for the top

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of "paste" can be used that stays in a "paste type consistency" so the top can be removes and installed through-out the seasons. Something to sandwich between the rubber and the windshield frame that won't glue it to the top, but not run off in the heat and rain?

broncobuddha

Get a new rubber gasket for top of windshield and use rtv to seal. The top should seal fine to the rubber and the seal will stay on the frame when the top comes off.

That's what I did.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should never use RTV silicone on sheet metal, it promotes rust... patching a spot with it and over a few years the steel (painted or not) can turn to a crusty film....

Quick & Dirty

Rope caulk, or caulking cord are the search terms. Commonly used on RV's, campers and seasonal home use. Press in place, peel off later with minimal clean up needed.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The cowl side of the windshield hinge used similar stuff that was called body putty at the factory. It's indistinguishable from window glazing or plumber's putty. Any of these would answer the OP's question.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
Paste sounds messy, I'd use some type of flexible glue to glue gasket to either body or top, I'd say top.

pbwcr

This stuff works great, It is used on RV's due to it being flexible and it peels off easily. https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...le-Caulking-Cord-Weatherstrip-71548/100353483
==
I use that stuff for all kinds of applications, but I sure would not use it for the purpose suggested. It will seal but getting it in the thinness required is hopeless. You could give it a try, but of course new rubber is the real solution.

Silicone works but be sure you do not get the acid cure type. They sell both kinds.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Rubber seals on a bronco with no caulk?
Sheeeit

On my hardtop I only use the factory style rubber seals without sealant, never had a leak here in the midwest.

In fact I have removed a bunch of hardtops that have never been off a stock bronco and have never seen any sign of a sealant??

Do the bronco houses sell sealants for the bronco? I don't recall seeing them, so I have to think they are no needed if your metal and rubber seals are in good shape?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The cowl side of the windshield hinge used similar stuff that was called body putty at the factory. It's indistinguishable from window glazing or plumber's putty. Any of these would answer the OP's question.

Interesting, I have never seen that on any stock bronco and I have owned a bunch..