• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OCBR CBs or radios?

ArmyCOL

Just for clarification. To operate a dual band 144-148/420-450Mhz or GMRS radio legally, you must be licensed by the FCC. Local area HAM clubs often teach the technician license course which will enable you to operate legally on the dual band radio. GMRS is a separate license and as foar as I know there is not a class to learn how to use. Just pay the $35. FCC fines are pretty steep if caught and the HAM community self regulates those on the air.

I hold an Amateur Extra license and I have both a CB and a dual band radio for my rig. Toying with the idea of a HF radio as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You're right. HAMs are going to go crazy. So BE SURE not to transmit on 144-148 MHz or 430-450MHz. GMRS is 462MHz. I have wondered if the folks like you're talking about are using full-on GMRS or just FRS radios. FRS requires no license and is open to anyone.
We used GMRS
The radios you buy at Walmart in the 2 pack
A lot of the radios will do both FRS and GMRS
And we used the GMRS channels because they had twice the range

I don’t know of anyone who actually gets the fcc license for them .

The place I worked at has been using them for over 20 years and the FCC hasn’t raided the place yet .

For the Bofang China radios that will transmit on the ham channels , you need to make sure you don’t yak on the ham channels , the ham folks will go bonkers .
I have a radio in my pickup that is capable of transmission on ham freqs , but I use it for CB channels since it’s a little more powerful than an normal CB , and the reception is far better than a normal CB for some reason .

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that we're less than SEVEN DAYS OUT, i'll add this. If you're buying a baofeng or BTech or even the blue Rugged Radio handheld, and you want some extra distance with it, you need to get a better antenna. I have several aftermarket antennas on my radios. The key to ordering is knowing which antenna connector your radio has. The radios mentioned above have an SMA MALE connector, so you need an SMA FEMALE antenna.

I've attached some pics of radios and antennas. You can see a Retevis, Rugged, Baofeng and my Yaesu. I have several of each except for the lone Rugged which I won at OCBR a couple years back. The Yaesu is a good radio but only has one "side" meaning it can't listen to two freqs at the same time like the others. It is a locked HAM radio only able to transmit on HAM bands, but as with most HAM radios now, there are ways to unlock it for other purposes. So I did!

I have not tested the antennas to know which one is the best. I just use them according to what I need. If I'm afraid I'll break a long antenna, the signal stick is best. For best long range, the nagoya or the unbranded. The rubber duckys are for short range talk.

The antennas are from top
#1 stock rugged "rubber ducky"
#2 stock baofeng "rubber ducky"
#3 signal stick (https://signalstuff.com/product/super-elastic-signal-stick-sma-female/)
#4 stock Yaesu rubber ducky
#5 unknown brand dual band (I got it in a mystery box order. Works great tho!)
#6 Nagoya (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4PWQQ/?tag=classicbroncos-20)

Attachments

• handheld radios.jpeg
    handheld radios.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 6
  • handheld antennas 1.jpg
    handheld antennas 1.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 5
  • handheld antennas 2.jpg
    handheld antennas 2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 5

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Now that we're less than SEVEN DAYS OUT, i'll add this. If you're buying a baofeng or BTech or even the blue Rugged Radio handheld, and you want some extra distance with it, you need to get a better antenna. I have several aftermarket antennas on my radios. The key to ordering is knowing which antenna connector your radio has. The radios mentioned above have an SMA MALE connector, so you need an SMA FEMALE antenna.

I've attached some pics of radios and antennas. You can see a Retevis, Rugged, Baofeng and my Yaesu. I have several of each except for the lone Rugged which I won at OCBR a couple years back. The Yaesu is a good radio but only has one "side" meaning it can't listen to two freqs at the same time like the others. It is a locked HAM radio only able to transmit on HAM bands, but as with most HAM radios now, there are ways to unlock it for other purposes. So I did!

I have not tested the antennas to know which one is the best. I just use them according to what I need. If I'm afraid I'll break a long antenna, the signal stick is best. For best long range, the nagoya or the unbranded. The rubber duckys are for short range talk.

The antennas are from top
#1 stock rugged "rubber ducky"
#2 stock baofeng "rubber ducky"
#3 signal stick (https://signalstuff.com/product/super-elastic-signal-stick-sma-female/)
#4 stock Yaesu rubber ducky
#5 unknown brand dual band (I got it in a mystery box order. Works great tho!)
#6 Nagoya (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4PWQQ/?tag=classicbroncos-20)

Let's talk at OCBR :) remind me on this