• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless harness/Holley Sniper EFI question/Ballast Resistor

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
About to get my engine wiring squared away, but there is one remaining question I have...

I have a Sniper EFI w/coil driver module (took the place of my MSD 6al) and a MSD blaster 2 coil..

In the painless directions it says I'm to wire Red/Green #920 to the supplied ballast resistor to Coil +...HOWEVER..if using an internally resisted coil or MSD Ignition Box the resistor will be omitted. If the Sniper coil driver module took the place of the MSD ignition box, would that coil driver handle resistance and I can omit the Ballast resistor??

For anyone running this same setup..did you use or not use the ballast resistor??

PS..I've tried Holley Tech Support several times in the last few days and hold times are over an hour with no chance for a call back..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Holiday weekend, I bet Holley tech support is backlogged. I just got off the phone with Dutchman Axle and they were appoligizing for the backlog the holiday created.

I was about to use the sniper ignition module (strange little thing with 2 wires out of it that looks nothing like an ignition module). I was planning on leaving the ballast wire in place. My understanding is the coil needs the ballast, not the ignition. But I am not completely sure. I just remember that the generic 12V coils came with and without a built in ballast resistor. People would get the with resistor so it was easier to wire up. If you can't get through tech support, I would run one.

OP
OP
horhay25

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
Thanks Bowsher

If I couldn't get a definitive answer I was going to keep the ballast..I would just love to get rid of that eye sore...

It was told to me that the Sniper Ign Module takes the place of the MSD ign box..so the Sniper would now control the coil...instead of the MSD box.

OP
OP
horhay25

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
also..my bronco ran great before I attempted this wiring puzzle..I can't find a "ballast resistor anywhere on the bronco. So I'm assuming that the previous owner got rid of it when he installed the MSD box...after I switched to Sniper EFI, I ditched the MSD box in favor of the coil driver box (as was recommended to me by Holley)..during install..I never saw a ballast resistor. the bronco ran great after I installed the sniper..this makes me think if i wasn't running one before..i shouldn't need to now..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock ballast resistor is actually a wire inside the harness.

Sounds like you have it running good. I would probably just leave it alone for now.