• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering kits

Rob The Gas Man

Hello everyone! New to the forum here. Starting with a 10 year old restoration that me and my 16 year old Daughter will drive during the summer here in Ohio. We'll be upgrading steering and brakes first. My question is, who makes the best and most complete power steering kit for a 68 with a 289? Also wanting to upgrade to a tilt column during the conversion. Manual trans with a floor shift. Any advise would be appreciated.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A used stock system is going to be the easiest bolt on.

Beyond that there are a number of options. Click on any of the vendors who advertise on this site and go to their power steering section. Three or four commonly used box and pump setups out there.

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
If you don't plan larger than 33" tires the stock steering box would be my choice. Finding all the parts needed from the classified section will be easy. I saw a 4 turn box there just now. Floor shifters on here are cheap, look for one close by to you to save on postage. Brakes are a safety issue so buy those new. Consider replacing everything including lines.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Rob, welcome to you and your daughter too, to classicbroncos! Should be a fun project.
And you do realize, don't you, that at 16, it's "her" Bronco now! Right?;)

Anyway, what they said. And maybe put your city under your name in case any locals might have the stuff you need.
We (Wild Horses) do offer a few kits that might fit your needs too here: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_Power_Steering_Kits where the most complete for your particular needs would likely be the #1961 because it includes all the brackets, the hoses and even the lower steering shaft with yokes/joints to match the box at one end and whatever your column ends up being.

For columns, we carry both Ididit and Flaming River, but the one I like the best is our "Direct Fit" series from Ididit. It's the most expensive, but only by a little (once you add most of the other stuff together) and easiest to almost literally drop right in.
They are made to bolt right up with no adapters, still use Ford steering wheels and turn signal switches, and use the more Ford-standard 3/4" x 36 spline lower interface.
So any future replacement items are all Bronco.

The first two in this lineup (#2501 and #2517) http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Ididit_Columns would be the ones you want to look at.
Bare steel for cost savings, or powder coated black for bang-for-the-buck. If you've ever priced out powder coating locally, then the extra $110 bucks for the already done up one is a bargain.
And you don't have to disassemble your new column to get it done!
But rattle can paint has it's place in the world as well, if budget is more of a concern. It just never lasts as long as factory powder does it seems. However, recoats are pretty much free as long as your daughter gets to drive it now and then!;D

You'll notice that they are not listed for the '68. That's really only due to the wiring connectors included with the kits. Everything else matches up with any Early Bronco, and the wire colors are still Ford, so figuring out your connections is pretty simple.

Depending on where you are, there might be other vendors closer to you. But if you call in to check, we're happy to quote shipping costs right on the phone if you're interested. Shipping is probably not that bad on some of the stuff, but still worth confirming.

Have fun!

Paul

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
If you feel like turning a wrench, the 4x4x2 box can be economical and strong. For brakes, do the tried and true Chevy disk swap.

If it was me, and I was already getting lines made up for the power steering, I'd also do the Astro van hydroboost.

You do those three, and it will be much safer in terms of steering and stopping.

broncbuster

If your plans include large tires and/or fairly hard off road use, the 4x4x2 set up is a good choice. it is more work to do, but is quite a bit stronger. I cobbled mine together from several different sources, but kits are available from several places including BC Broncos and Driven Auto Parts in Phoenix. I think Wild Horses has that kit too.

If you will be mainly driving on the street, won't have bigger tires than 33" and/or mild off roading, about any kit should be OK.

For an inexperienced driver (you mentioned your daughter) the slower ratio of the 73-75 factory box might help keep her out of trouble with the short wheel base. If that isn't an issue a quicker ratio is nicer to drive, especially in situations involving a lot of tight turning. The 4x4x2 box is fairly quick as are several other boxes.

Enjoy!