• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering kits?

Northwest69EB

I'm on the fence about two power steering kits, I've determined I will buy either a Tom's Bronco Parts P/S system or Wild Horses P/S system. It appears they both sell and factory 4-bolt quick ratio kit like 76-77 oem but the TBP looks like they drill one of the bottom holes snowman style double hole which I do not like because it might weaken bolt tab.

Does anyone have experience with either of these companies P/S systems?
I don't want a custom setup and 35X12.5R15 are the largest tires I plan running. Also I'm pretty anal about fit and finish, I hate spending hard earned money for parts that don't fit right or need fabrication to work!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Neither one of those is a Ford Bronco OEM steering box.

If you don't want a custom set-up then you will need to find a used or rebuilt Bronco steering box.

They do show up in the classifieds here, there are currently several for sale there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While I agree with you on the enlarged hole on the new boxes, there is still a lot of meat left there and I've never heard of anyone having any trouble with it. As long as the box is tight to the frame and stays that way, I can't see it being any trouble.
And I don't like it either right up front, but have stared at it a long time and it's what I'm going with on mine (after I let the company sell my 4x4x2 box to a more needy customer!) without qualms.
35's in my case too, and no babying on the trails.

Paul

OP
OP
Northwest69EB

Northwest69EB

Sorry I mean to say oem style 4-bolt boxes. And what i meant by custom was I'm not a fabricator nor do I have friends that are so I prefer "bolt on kits" as apposed to searching for used parts that may or may not fit or require rebuilding before install. I'm a big fan of quality parts that fit and work and so far I've had really good luck with WH and TBP.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I hear ya on that. And "custom" steering is always a can-o-worms on Broncos.
Can you say, "snowball" and cascade effect?!!!!;D

The only bolt-on boxes I'm aware of are the stock originals and these. Others, like the 4x4x2, old Scout II boxes, and maybe even the Nissan conversion boxes are almost bolt-ons, with maybe only one hole to drill, but that's only close and not really a bolt-on.

We sold rebuilt and quickened stock boxes, but like so often over the years, the cores dried up again and so they're just not readily available like they were up to about a year and a half ago.
You might still find a vendor with some, or as mentioned get lucky and find one being sold by a member here or on Craigslist.

But the bottom line for me was overall strength, rather than originality. The old stock boxes did have their weak links that the new ones don't share. Yes, they had fully surrounded holes, but the cases and sector shafts (two pretty important things in gear boxes!) were still the weak links. Just not around the bolt holes.
So stock is not really the best choice for 35's in my opinion.

For years the Jamboree's on the Rubicon barred most EB's from participating in some events because the steering boxes were prone to breakage, and that was not something their "shop" could fix as easily as they could Jeep axles and such. No spares just laying around either.

I know GDDYAP here would have said the stock ones were fine too, up until last year. But on his last wheeling trip he split the case on his '73's original. With 35's.
On the same trip, another friend split the case or something similar on his stock '77 box too.
While one was pulled over to help the other, someone cruised by and said "hey, is that fluid coming out of the steering box?" about the OTHER Bronco! So two down in one fell swoop.

You may not be planning any wheeling with yours, but tires can still put good force all on their own.
The case at least on these aftermarket replacements is beefier and has deeper reinforcing webs than the original Saginaw boxes did. Plus our experience over the years with aftermarket boxes is that the sector shafts are at least a little stronger than stock, since I've never heard (yet) of one breaking.

So there's all that to promote the newer ones, even with their wobbled out mounting hole.

Paul

OP
OP
Northwest69EB

Northwest69EB

After much debate I bought the WH power steering kit and I am very please with it. The steering box is a Borgeson unit that has been re-drilled to fit a early bronco frame bolt pattern. The box is quit larger than the OE unit so there is some slight body mods that need to be done before it fits in place. You will need to bend/trim the front sheet metal but then all three bolts fit good. I chose to use WH dual V-belt crank and water pump pulley's which fit very good after finding out my 28oz harmonic balancer was wrong for my year 302. Once that was all figured out I mixed and matched until I found the correct size v-belt in 17-series (larger v-belt) and the system works awesome. I would say it's night and day difference driving bronco's with HD power steering and I will never go back!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Glad that you like the kit! Have had nothing but good success with what I have gotten from WH as well. They definitely sell good stuff as everyone on here already knows!