• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear anti-sway bar

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Since a 9" rear axle was used in a number of other applications, would the rear sway bar from some other vehicle work on my Bronco with some bracket mods? I understand Ford installed some for Govt contracts but they can be pretty hard to come by. I guess they are just trashed most of the time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Short answer, no
You may find some brackets that bolt on, but typically welded on.
The sway bar needs to line up with the chassis mounting points, and the Bronco has a non-typical frame rail width being narrower then most other stuff. So don't expect to find a junkyard bolt on that easy.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Short answer, no
You may find some brackets that bolt on, but typically welded on.
The sway bar needs to line up with the chassis mounting points, and the Bronco has a non-typical frame rail width being narrower then most other stuff. So don't expect to find a junkyard bolt on that easy.

Broncobowsher,
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping someone with your resourceful junkyard apptitude would answer. That's exactly what I was wondering. The frame width is the most important issue with anti-sway bars. I guess if I want one I'll have to look for one of those rare factory ones.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Or make your own....I've got pics in my thread of the rear swaybar I worked up....Speedway Engineering made the bar, I made the arms.

bronco117

My rear sway bar is off a stock FS bronco. The frame mounts are off a f-250. It is mounted facing to the rear because of the Cross inboard shock mount. I heated up the ends of the sway bar and bent them straight.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My rear sway bar is off a stock FS bronco. The frame mounts are off a f-250. It is mounted facing to the rear because of the Cross inboard shock mount. I heated up the ends of the sway bar and bent them straight.

How did you attach the links to the frame?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I bought the front & rear set from e bay, there addco bars, bolt on pretty easy and work good, cant rember the vendor tho.

bronco117

The frame mounts are the same for most Ford trucks. Mine are welded to the frame.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out the sway bars on a 97-01 Explorer. Width and vehicle weight should be compatible. They look like they might work with a little bit of fabrication and modification. Consider some quick connects for the links if you plan on doing much off road. I put a factory set on my big Bronco for pulling the trailer. Drives real nice on the road but the off road ride really sucks.