• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw with Explorer Serpentine?????

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
So if I understand correctly, you are sending your Explorer pump bracket to PSC and they are modifying it to accept a TC pump? That would improve pump options. The Explorer pump seems to be a pretty good part, but it's unique to that model. It's a Ford C3 pump and from what I've seen shares some innards with pumps from other vehicles, but the housing casting is unique. So you aren't going to find that pump everywhere. Unlike a TC.

Yeah - I don't even want to try that pump with my setup, I love the responsiveness and strength of the PSC pump. This is just another reason why I am VERY happy with my purchase, PSC is willing to work with me on this application that isn't exactly standard - I'll let him know there is some interest in another pump option for this bracket setup.

I'll be shipping the bracket out this week - hopefully have more info next week.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Its funny, I called PSC and told them about my same scenario and was told I was SOL. Hope they can give an option for you.
AGR wants me to send my pump in to see what they can do, the excursion pump they do have a 4+GPH replacement is similar but has a different mounting boss. They are going to see what they can swap internally.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I got a new Superduty C3 pump from a friend to mess with last year. I swapped the guts from that pump to an Explorer C3 pump housing, and did some porting to the Explorer housing. I don't have a way to measure flow at pressure, so I didn't try, but my stock Explorer pump puts out 1300 psi. The modified pump generated 1800 psi. I have it sitting on the shelf because I was a little concerned about blowing out other components with the thing. I need to verify that the stock Bronco steering box and a late model hydroboost unit can handle that much pressure over time without grenading. The modified pump got rid of any tendency for the steering to bog at idle.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Its funny, I called PSC and told them about my same scenario and was told I was SOL. Hope they can give an option for you.
AGR wants me to send my pump in to see what they can do, the excursion pump they do have a 4+GPH replacement is similar but has a different mounting boss. They are going to see what they can swap internally.

Hrm - only time will tell with what happens here. Everything seems good to go as soon as I can get him a bracket...

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Kyle, finally got around to some pics of mine. Kyle and I have been talking about this some, but this is the Howe TC pump. I did have to do some mods, ie. drilling an additional hole through the bracket in the 12 O'clock position, as well as cutting clearance holes in the bottom braces (gotta love a plasma cutter!).
Joe

BuggyHydr01.jpg

BuggyHydr02.jpg

BuggyHydr03.jpg

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Kyle, finally got around to some pics of mine. Kyle and I have been talking about this some, but this is the Howe TC pump. I did have to do some mods, ie. drilling an additional hole through the bracket in the 12 O'clock position, as well as cutting clearance holes in the bottom braces (gotta love a plasma cutter!).
Joe

Joe, I take it the big line into the side is feed and the line out the bottom is pressure? Not too familiar with TC pumps, pardon the (probably obvious to you) questions.

How about pulley alignment?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Joe, I take it the big line into the side is feed and the line out the bottom is pressure? Not too familiar with TC pumps, pardon the (probably obvious to you) questions.

How about pulley alignment?

High pressure is the -6 AN high pressure out the bottom. The feed is the -10 AN (or -12) line that goes UP to the reservoir.

Looks like pulley alignment is perfect as it sits in the same spot as the Dephi/Ford pump.

Does your reservoir stick out of the hood? How did the plasma cutter cut the aluminum? I've got one as well - never tried it on that, but I assume it probably cuts it better then steel...

Thanks a ton for posting the pictures - I'm wondering if the return line can be run through the backside of the bracket where the factory reservoir is bolted.

Interesting.... looks like you mounted your orbital off the A/C compressor mount? Mine is hard mounted on the frame where the old PS box was...

Last edited:

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Does your reservoir stick out of the hood?

It does, it probably wouldn't on a Bronco, but I built this chassis for minimum height and the best sight line over the hood. Besides, it was hammered from the last time I rolled it...

How did the plasma cutter cut the aluminum? I've got one as well - never tried it on that, but I assume it probably cuts it better then steel...

Works like a champ, the biggest issue is to make sure you turn the air down or it'll blow hot aluminum everywhere!

I'm wondering if the return line can be run through the backside of the bracket where the factory reservoir is bolted.

There are a couple of other ways you could run the HP line. You can run a 90 degree fitting and have it point out the front or back.

Interesting.... looks like you mounted your orbital off the A/C compressor mount? Mine is hard mounted on the frame where the old PS box was...

Sorta, I built another bracket for the orbital and mounted it to the side of the Explorer bracket, same place the stock Explorer reservoir mounts. I don't have a frame, so no mounting down there.
Joe

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
High pressure is the -6 AN high pressure out the bottom. The feed is the -10 AN (or -12) line that goes UP to the reservoir.

Looks like pulley alignment is perfect as it sits in the same spot as the Dephi/Ford pump.

Does your reservoir stick out of the hood? How did the plasma cutter cut the aluminum? I've got one as well - never tried it on that, but I assume it probably cuts it better then steel...

Thanks a ton for posting the pictures - I'm wondering if the return line can be run through the backside of the bracket where the factory reservoir is bolted.

I can see that the pulley lined up, but having adapted a few pumps I've learned that it's not necessarily a foregone conclusion. It's a little hard to see from Joe's photos if the TC pump just dropped into the space vacated by the Ford pump without shimming or other fore/aft clearancing, though I'm guessing it did. If so, then all the better.

I can second cutting aluminum with a plasma cutter. Works great, saves a lot of time in nooks & crannies.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
It's a little hard to see from Joe's photos if the TC pump just dropped into the space vacated by the Ford pump without shimming or other fore/aft clearancing, though I'm guessing it did.

It did fit fine as far as fore/aft goes, it was just making space around it in the bracket.

The pulley did line up fine, using the Howe pulley. My original thought was to use a stock pulley, but it wouldn't fit. I'm not sure if it was a diameter issue, shaft diameter issue or what; however, IIRC it was because of the alignment and it had a different offset.
Joe

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Wonderful info here - hopefully I can find time to get that bracket off the motor and boxed up for PSC tonight and get it shipped tomorrow. I don't plan on swapping my motor until the snow flies and then melts - but it sure doesn't hurt to start getting the tough stuff figured out now.