• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

throttle sticking

agduckhunter

302 with a 4 bbl edelbrock. the problem is, the bronco will keep going even after I let off the gas, kind of like it has cruise control. all I have to do is give the gas pedal a little tap and the RPM's drop back down to normal. any clues as to what could be causing this?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
302 with a 4 bbl edelbrock. the problem is, the bronco will keep going even after I let off the gas, kind of like it has cruise control. all I have to do is give the gas pedal a little tap and the RPM's drop back down to normal. any clues as to what could be causing this?

Overstating the obvious, but the next time that "tap" could break the spring, launch the truck, and the throttle could open hard. I wouldn't drive this until it's fixed. Stuck throttle is worse than no brakes.

Be safe!

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
check around carb to see if something is interfering with the linkage. Give it a shot of carb cleaner around linkage to de-gunk. Best return springs are double springs ,kind of wound together. I was a passenger in a big block Corvette when the spring broke,that was a ride,stopped traffic in all directions as we did donuts.

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Overstating the obvious, but the next time that "tap" could break the spring, launch the truck, and the throttle could open hard. I wouldn't drive this until it's fixed. Stuck throttle is worse than no brakes.

Be safe!

Thanks for the heads up. I truly didn't know this and I'd be sick if something like this happened while I was driving my kids around. I've never been a gearhead, but I'm working in that direction. Prior to owning this bronco, I've never done any more than change oil in a car....and I haven't done that since high school (I'm 40 now). That being said, since I bought this in August, I've changed out the starter & solenoid, changed out the plugs, changed out the shocks & steering stabilizer, and found every rattle in it & fixed each and every one. I'm having a blast tinkering with this thing! If any of y'all have something visual so I know what I'm looking for specifically, that would be great. Otherwise, it's probably going to the mechanic.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. When I worked for Chrysler we had some new car out. an the floor mats would catch on the throttle .. People would be so mad until we went out an slide their floor mat over.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto on checking for interferences. Most common one I've found is the choke linkage just not quite letting go. It'll idle fine for a bit, then catch on the high-idle cam and not let go all of the time.

That's where the carb cleaner mentioned previously and some light lube like WD 40 can come in handy. Not a guaranteed fix, but might work if that's your issue.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Thanks, Paul. I'll give that a try first.

.. When I worked for Chrysler we had some new car out. an the floor mats would catch on the throttle .. People would be so mad until we went out an slide their floor mat over.

Hahaha.....I appreciate the hint, but I don't have any floor mats.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...but I don't have any floor mats.

Yeah, but don't forget, this is a Bronco after all. In the place of mats, you could have a rusty piece of floor panel, or even a substitute in the form of an old pilfered street sign welded over the old floor, popping up to block your throttle.
I mean, think about it... %)

Paul

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I've had this on our fuel injected cars. It was some sort of buildup in the area of the throttle plate. A little carb cleaner in the throttle body and no more problem. The buildup can occur in carburetors too.