• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission leak

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
After putting ATF in my transmission i noticed leaks coming from where my transmission meets the transfer case and there is actually some dripping from the neutral safety switch. I havent put any fluid in the transfer case yet, i imagine there is a seal that has failed where the transfer case and transmission meet but the other leak by the shifting lever (?) Has got me puzzled. Any help would be appericiated.

Attachments

• 20160701_113055.jpg
    20160701_113055.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20160701_113111.jpg
    20160701_113111.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 46

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is this a fresh install? I assume it is. If so, you can't add all the trans fluid at once, without it running. It will fill the big cavity inside the case and start to pour out the vent. The vent is at the top front of the tcase adapter. This will happen after 5 or 6 qts are added.

There is a very good chance that nothing is wrong. Just need to get the engine spinning before adding any more fluid.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've found that when fluid accumulation is on the shift linkage, the print at the end of the seal is leaking.
If it is accumulating wonder the case and neutral safety switch, the shaft seal is leaking. This requires removal of the pan and valve body to fix.
I've had that leak between the transfer case and transmission too. Both times I found the transfer case to tranny bolts were loose.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I only put 5 qts in so i didnt fill it to capacity. Figured i would wait until i get it started before i put the rest in. The bolts are tight, so i figured there was a seal failing somewhere. As far as the shift linkage goes, you said i need to drop the pan? Is there a seal on the inside of the linkage that needs to be replaced?

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Pic

This is since last night. Looks like a murder scene.

Attachments

• 20160701_123038.jpg
    20160701_123038.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Is this a fresh install? I assume it is. If so, you can't add all the trans fluid at once, without it running. It will fill the big cavity inside the case and start to pour out the vent. The vent is at the top front of the tcase adapter. This will happen after 5 or 6 qts are added.

There is a very good chance that nothing is wrong. Just need to get the engine spinning before adding any more fluid.

Yes, its fresh. Tranny was dry when installed

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Don't worry about the shifter seal yet. Normally that seal is above the fluid level. Right now you have 4 inches of fluid above it.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
So i should get it running before i dive in and start changing seals?

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Checked the bolts on the shifter. They were all loose.i tightened them up, will check later tonight.

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
When I installed the C4 in my rig it was getting late and I for some reason had loosened th shift linkage bolt. Went in the shop the next morning and it had leaked trans fluid, tightened it up and hasn't leaked since then.