• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Update from the Busted Knuckle Garage - After the Fire

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
I had a couple of runs on the block but, overall, I think it's going to look good! It'll be interesting once I start adding the accessories. More to come! B2

Attachments

• IMG_6836.JPG
    IMG_6836.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6835.JPG
    IMG_6835.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Hey Crush,
You did a smash up job on those covers! I like that idea and also think Skiddy's might work out okay as well. I'm willing to spend the time so I might get the tape and exacto out and do it same as you. Thanks for the share! B2

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
On the covers, rather than taping, can you paint the entire cover and then go back and sand the fins and the Bronco script to reveal? Used to do this to car stereo amplifier cases/heat sinks when wanted a color change.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
yes you can^^^^^but then you have to polish the fins again unless you like the brushed look and getting all that compound out of the freshly painted fins is a bitch.

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks Guys, ^^^^
I'm thinking I'll do a little of both. Going to take the time to mask it off and then clean it up by sanding and do some clear afterwards. Appreciate the input! Cheers, B2

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Dumpster Diving!

Hey Guys,
I went "dumster-diving" today at a local JY and found a suweet 96 Exploder. It took a while, but I nabbed the firewall harness and ECU with no problems. Very happy with the find! I might do a "return to target" and nab that entire 5.0L or, at the very least, get the intakes and GT40 heads for resale. Those goodies are just too sweet to let rot or just get crushed.

Anyway....one big step closer to putting this Bronco back together! Many thanks to EFI Guy for your guidance! More to come.

Cheers, B2

Attachments

• IMG_6837.JPG
    IMG_6837.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6841.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
I already found a home for that 5.0L Exploder with another Bronco brother here in Houston. Yard pulled it today and I'll go pick it up on Monday and drop it off at it's new home. I'm making a bit off of it as a finders fee, but not much. It'll help with my addiction for about.....a day! (Maybe)

Now I really need my paint shop to get off their asses and finish the engine bay. I'm needing that paint so I can the accessories shot and back on the block. More pics when I get the Bronco back. Cheers, B2

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Hey folks,
It's been a while since I've been able to post. I've put out a few other posts on specific hurdles encountered or achieved, but here's the latest on my build.

Engine is just about done....working on the little things now. HUGE shout out to the EFI Guy, Garry, for his help and time answering my questions from the boneyard and garage! Definitely a brother willing to help. Very much appreciated, Garry!

I'm thinking about flipping the intake to pull air from the driver side. Scored a nice cold air box from a 2001 Exploder that may fit perfectly on that side. Have to test fit the motor to see if my Hydroboost is going to conflict with that move.

Right now I'm ready to clean and paint the front diff and frame back to 2nd body mounts that my body shop was kind enough to overspray badly! Lots of cleaning and wire wheel action in my near future.

Question - I'm going with the Dodge Neon coil packs in place of the explorer packs. Both have 3 pin terminals to hook up to and I have the correct connectors. Can I just re-pin the Dodge connectors in the same orientation as the Exploder connectors and be good to go? EFI Guy? (many thanks for your help!)

I'll be cutting my window for the computer pretty soon and then work on the firewall harness. Have to see how difficult pulling the dash will be so I can see what I'm doing to integrate the old with the new. Big fun coming! Here's some pics. Cheers, B2

Attachments

• AInBronco.JPG
    AInBronco.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 119
  • ADiffReady.JPG
    ADiffReady.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ANeonCoilPack.jpg
    ANeonCoilPack.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 93
  • AMaskOff2.jpg
    AMaskOff2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IntakeSide.JPG
    IntakeSide.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 103
  • HarnessDone2.JPG
    HarnessDone2.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Rebuild7wHarness.JPG
    Rebuild7wHarness.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 103
  • ReadyDropFront2.JPG
    ReadyDropFront2.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 107

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Nice fit for the Air box. Can you actually open it and replace the air filter in its space?

If you can might want to use some good clear protective film on the wheel well paint so it doesnt get chipped up opening and closing the lid.

Looks like your having fun now.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The work never ends brother.. LOL

Hey folks,
It's been a while since I've been able to post. I've put out a few other posts on specific hurdles encountered or achieved, but here's the latest on my build.

Engine is just about done....working on the little things now. HUGE shout out to the EFI Guy, Garry, for his help and time answering my questions from the boneyard and garage! Definitely a brother willing to help. Very much appreciated, Garry!

I'm thinking about flipping the intake to pull air from the driver side. Scored a nice cold air box from a 2001 Exploder that may fit perfectly on that side. Have to test fit the motor to see if my Hydroboost is going to conflict with that move.

Right now I'm ready to clean and paint the front diff and frame back to 2nd body mounts that my body shop was kind enough to overspray badly! Lots of cleaning and wire wheel action in my near future.

Question - I'm going with the Dodge Neon coil packs in place of the explorer packs. Both have 3 pin terminals to hook up to and I have the correct connectors. Can I just re-pin the Dodge connectors in the same orientation as the Exploder connectors and be good to go? EFI Guy? (many thanks for your help!)

I'll be cutting my window for the computer pretty soon and then work on the firewall harness. Have to see how difficult pulling the dash will be so I can see what I'm doing to integrate the old with the new. Big fun coming! Here's some pics. Cheers, B2

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Nice fit for the Air box. Can you actually open it and replace the air filter in its space?

If you can might want to use some good clear protective film on the wheel well paint so it doesnt get chipped up opening and closing the lid.

Looks like your having fun now.

Hey Rusty, I added a piece of low profile strut under the airbox which raised it about an inch. I will have to unbuckle the MAF from the intake tubing to remove that top piece but, other than that, I think it will be easily removed. Good idea about the protective film. Any chance you know of a brand for that?

Thanks for all the feedback! As SuperDave said, the road goes on forever and the party never ends! Cheers, B2

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
I use the 3M stuff. I bought it from TCP Global. If you know anyone in the body film business they would have it. I use it under my ignition lock and on the core support where the hood latch drags down.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Search.htm...m_attribute_type=Paint Protection Film&page=1

Thanks, Rustytruck! I will definitely look into that. Rattle canned the frame this weekend and next task is cutting the "window" for the CPU. Anyone see any issues with where I have this window mocked up? Does it conflict with the heat control line?

I'm guessing I'll need to drop my heater box to be able to work under the dash and have yet to figure out where the heater flow valve is going to go with the 5.0L hardlines installed on the block. As soon as I get that window for the CPU cut I'll be ready to test fit the engine and start working on the relay box location, etc.

Advice and suggestions are always appreciated! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• FrameFront.JPG
    FrameFront.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 78
  • FramePaint.jpg
    FramePaint.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 80
  • FramePrimer.JPG
    FramePrimer.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 75
  • HarnessWindow.JPG
    HarnessWindow.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 84
  • EngineSideShot.JPG
    EngineSideShot.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 75

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
What no paint on the steering shaft? That frame prep and paint looking good especially with the body on. You must be some kind of twisted monkey. I would be hurt for a month.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Which ECU mount are you using?

Yes there are conflicts under the dash, vent hoses for defroster gets tight in there.

You also have to watch clearance on the cowl brace inside.

Heater cable hole. I plugged the factory one and relocated it slightly lower and more to the passenger side.

I am using the Windstar van ECU mount and front plate

Attachments

• DSCN3727.jpg
    DSCN3727.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3726.jpg
    DSCN3726.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3724.jpg
    DSCN3724.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN3725.jpg
    DSCN3725.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3754.jpg
    DSCN3754.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
What no paint on the steering shaft? That frame prep and paint looking good especially with the body on. You must be some kind of twisted monkey. I would be hurt for a month.

Rusty - Bwahaha! THIS time I only cleaned it back to the second body mounts, which is about where my skid plate starts. When I first installed the Exploder 5.0L 8 years ago I wire wheeled the entire frame and underside of the tub. Now THAT almost killed me!

904 Bronco - I'm using the tray and front plate out of a 97 Exploder. Man, I'm digging that Windstar tray look. If I have to, I may cut the back of my tray off to help with the clearance. Did you use the 5.0L metal lines and were you able to insert and hookup the original valve between them and the firewall? MANY thanks for those pics!

JSmall - Man, that is a nifty solution for 90 bucks! I will use that if I can't get the original to work.

Here's the tray I have and a few pics of the underbelly from 8 years back. Not nearly as clean now! Thanks for the feedback, Gents! B2

Attachments

• ECUBox1.JPG
    ECUBox1.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 45
  • ECUBox2.JPG
    ECUBox2.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 46
  • FrameClean.JPG
    FrameClean.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Primer1.JPG
    Primer1.JPG