• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Visit with Mike @ Bronco Design

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
There has been some talk of a new vendor/manufacturer making fiberglass accessories for our beloved Broncos. I can tell you that the rumors are true. I was talking with a buddy of mine who was looking at getting some flares and he pointed me towards Mike at Bronco Design. To make a long story short, the shop is not far from where I was this week and I decided to make the trip.

Mike met me at the top of his driveway and gave me the grand tour. He has a little shop and is according to him a "one man show." There are a lot of cool ideas in Mike's head and he loves Early Broncos for sure. I got to get up close and personal with the new uncut fiberglass bronco body and I'll tell you what, it is a stout piece. I'll leave the detail to Mike but I can say that it is nice and a lot of thought and engineering went into it so far.

I got to check out all of the new designs and there is a lot going on for Mike right now. While I spent an hour or so chatting with him, he answered the phone seven or eight times and entertained all of the questions.

I picked up the flares for my buddy and also door inserts for me. Both insanely good quality and the design is great. Inserts are one piece that slide over the pillar and jam and are reinforced at the mounting locations with inlayed metal washers. The flares are THICK! I am sure the new owner will love them.

You guys should check them out at www.broncodesign.com. Mike has an ebay account too. I have seen some of his parts on there. Mike always has some new ideas forming so stay updated. We told him that he was going to get busier now that the CB.com crew knows about him. When I get home, I will take some pics of the flares and inserts.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
spoke with him about two weeks ago and was super nice. Hope to be paying a visit myself.

OP
OP
eb66to77

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Ok here are some pics of the loot. Sorry it took so long but the ONLY road to my house was blocked and I had to get drunk at a bar.

BTW- I know the bronco is dirty and yes that is a snake that ate my baby bird friends. I only let him live because he cleans up the mice around the house.

Also check out my new tubing ruiner. pretty cool eh?

Attachments

• DSCF3990.JPG
    DSCF3990.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF3989.JPG
    DSCF3989.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF3988.JPG
    DSCF3988.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF3987.JPG
    DSCF3987.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF3986.JPG
    DSCF3986.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF3985.JPG
    DSCF3985.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF3984.JPG
    DSCF3984.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF3983.JPG
    DSCF3983.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF3982.JPG
    DSCF3982.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF3981.JPG
    DSCF3981.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF3980.JPG
    DSCF3980.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 159

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Hi Kids-
Thanks for the nice words. It was great to host Matt and felt good that he took the time to stop in. I told a customer who took the time to write and thank me that if I was rich, I'd do it for free just for the attaboys.
Per the question about a half cab yes I will be doing one but it won't be available until I get the body molds done and some parts out the door. I want one for myself to replace the soft top for winter and we all know how wonderful the heater is so the less space to heat the better.

Well, back to the salt mines. Orders to fill!

Last edited:

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Hey-
Another thought. I NEED a helper who can take some pressure off so I can keep building molds and making parts. I have a free place to stay since I'm kind of remote, and want someone who knows which side of the sandpaper is the scratchy side. It is smelly, dusty, itchy, sticky work but might work into something good for the right guy. Email me with your experience and salary requirements and I'll get back to you promptly.

PaulT

Loc.
Wilton NEW HAMPSHIRE
Welcome to the site Mike. My '71 is just getting what she needs this year, but I was thinking about a fiberglass body in the near future. Looks like I've found my source!

VT_Don

I plan to buy a glass tub before year's end. Was waiting until visiting Terracomp before making a decision. Want to inspect materials and workmanship first hand. Now, appears I have another trip to take. Am concerned about fit, finish, strength, and construction. Will be deciding against any product that has non marine grade reinforcements. As stress cracks occur, water will saturate typical wood reinforcement. Come winter, the water soaked wood freezes and destroys the body. If any doubt, checkout some of those countless, old VW kit cars. Ideally, I'd like to see construction like that done in performance kit planes. Any glass Bronco body will have to have cut-out rear quarters. The larger transmission tunnel is a good feature, as is a complete, integral firewall with OEM windshield frame mounting.

OP
OP
eb66to77

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I plan to buy a glass tub before year's end. Was waiting until visiting Terracomp before making a decision. Want to inspect materials and workmanship first hand. Now, appears I have another trip to take. Am concerned about fit, finish, strength, and construction. Will be deciding against any product that has non marine grade reinforcements. As stress cracks occur, water will saturate typical wood reinforcement. Come winter, the water soaked wood freezes and destroys the body. If any doubt, checkout some of those countless, old VW kit cars. Ideally, I'd like to see construction like that done in performance kit planes. Any glass Bronco body will have to have cut-out rear quarters. The larger transmission tunnel is a good feature, as is a complete, integral firewall with OEM windshield frame mounting.

Wow VT, are you Mike himself on a different log on? Hehe, because Mike is into boats and aviation! Your needs and Mike's engineering are on the same wave pattern.

OP
OP
eb66to77

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Hi Kids-
Thanks for the nice words. It was great to host Matt and felt good that he took the time to stop in. I told a customer who took the time to write and thank me that if I was rich, I'd do it for free just for the attaboys.
Per the question about a half cab yes I will be doing one but it won't be available until I get the body molds done and some parts out the door. I want one for myself to replace the soft top for winter and we all know how wonderful the heater is so the less space to heat the better.

Well, back to the salt mines. Orders to fill!

Mike it was great to meet you and check out the shop. I would love to add fiberglassing to my resume but this job keeps me pretty entertained.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
Hey Mike thanks for letting the snake live, there cleaner, and better at keeping the rodent population down than cats. sorry skiddy

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Hey Vermont Don!
Per your wish list; I come from the Aviation side of the composites business. I've built and made molds for several kit planes and a plans built composite plane called the Varieze years ago. I also worked in a crew that made three 53 foot sailing catamatans. I've seen more rotted core material that you could imagine. You are absolutely right. My wife had a CJ5 with an AJs tub with wood reinforcement. I cringe when I read/hear wood core. Hers was mush in 5 years. FIberglass and polyester resin IS NOT A WATERPROOF BARRIER. If fact, its like the roach motel for water. Water goes in and doesn't come out! The only true barriers are vinylester and epoxy but no one would pay what those materials add to the price.
I use a marine grade resin now in the inserts and flares because you get a better surface finish. My tub has stock rear quarters because stock is cool and there aren't any sources for that. Its easy to cut and add flares. If you wipe out a flare, you haven't broken the whole quarter. Mine has an OEM windshield mount thats even gelcoated UNDER the cowl with an integrated steering column and pedal mounts, a finished firewall, an enlarged tranny hump for the NP435 guys, and probably some other stuff Ive forgotten since I've been working on it for so long. Email me for the PDF flyer. You're thinking Don! That make you a 20%er which means you and I can earn all the money to support the 80%ers. LOL Rgds, Mike

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Sorry Mike, but Matt can't move to PA to work for you. He has to be close for me to come by and ask him what the hell I broke and how do I fix it.

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Hey Buddy!
I might pay him more than you can and I have Yeungling in vast quantities. PS for those interested, I just posted new composite dash pictures on the DASH REDO thread. If I get one more order, I swear I'm gonna start a thread for an employee search