• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weather stripping adhesion

Torkman66

Contributor
I've installed a lot of weather stripping over the years. Learned early on the right way to apply the 3m adhesive. Thin layer on metal, thin layer on rubber, allow to tack, then another thin layer on either rubber or metal and attach. No mess. I even apply two strips of tape with a 5/16 gap between them on the metal side so I can apply the adhesive then remove the tape for a nice line that does not show after rubber is in place. HOWEVER...

I saw some weather stripping for a different vehicle that has the 3m double sided tape on the adhesion side. The red tape is similar to the 3m emblem tape if not the exact same stuff. Simply peel the red backing and put in place...no mess, no glue. However, do not see where it is available yet for our Broncos. But, why couldn't we get 5/16" 3m double sided tape and put it down on the metal (say in the door opening) and then carefully apply the rubber to it. No mess, no adhesive, and if you've ever put rubber on the 3m tape, the rubber will rip apart before it comes unstuck from the tape. You would not see the tape at all and the rubber would be very much stuck in place.

Thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No reason you couldn’t do that way.
But before you got all this trouble, or even try to permanently install a set of factory replacements, test fit them first!
Use regular tape or whatever it takes to hold it in place and try to close the door. If you have to slam the door, and even after slamming, it won’t shut, whatever you do, do NOT glue those in place!

And then find the thread that we’ve got going here about off-the-shelf adhesive backed weatherstripping to take the place of the original instead.
However, if yours fits nicely, and some still do, the two-sided tape might work very well.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I found it best to wipe the rubber down with rubbing alcohol. The molds are coated with a releasing agent to allow them to be removed. The releasing agent will keep the rubber from adhering to your truck. If you remove it, it will stick better... Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
^^ Mark here does a lot of building and would definitely listen to that advise