• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What, what, what the hell happened??

Miker

Bronco Guru
Okay, so I take my rig that I have been having built around the subdivision since I have really not driven since I picked it up (still needs lights windows etc.) and it was running pretty strong so I got on it a little heavy in the throttle and Something went in the drivetrain. :cry: Like a big bam kinda' thud that then made the engine rev highh, came to a stop and NO gears in the C4 seem to work. Not sure if its the tranny or the Transfercase. Gonna go take the transfer case plate off to see if anything is busted up in there.
Oh, I tried to do the drive wheel drive only gig and no dice there either.

Anyone got an educated guess as to what the hell happened???

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the Transfer case popped out of gear. reshift the transfer case.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine pops out of gear every 6 months or so, its a very common problem with dana 20s.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the Transfer case popped out of gear. reshift the transfer case.

I pulled it over and put it park, said about every curse word in the book, several times, then, once I had my shi* back together tried all the different combinations with the transfer case both high, low front, rear, hubs locked in, locked out etc.

I just pulled the transfer case cover and the gears all look just fine and nothing broken, at least what I could visually see looking up in there with a light. I'll take a pic and post up

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Tryin to think this through some more If it was my transfer case and I tried to engage my front wheel drive with hubs open, wouldn't it just spin fairly freely if the dana 20 was shot??

I'm thinking more and more it might be my tranny....

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Okay, if it came to it, what would be a fair price to be expected for a C4 tranny rebuild and install????

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
talk to jay at broader performance. He is the owner/operator. He does custom c4 builds as well as selling good parts and can tell you what you need to make your c4 live for the way your rig is setup. If your pretty savvy c4's are pretty easy to work on yourself. I bought most of my parts from him and did the work myself.

Here is a link to a forum tech article by Paul Stevens in Washington state, he is a former tranny tech that knows c4's very well also and built a lot of drag/4x4/street performance c4's back in the 80's thru early 2000's. He retired and may be deceased now not sure . he used to be very active on a few forums but nothing the last few years. there are some good lube mods and info in it. his valve body mod is pretty much a transgo stage 2 without buying there kit.

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=29643

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does PARK actually hold it from moving? If not the problem is something rearward of the trans. If it does hold it problem is in the trans. Could be broke input shaft. What motor are you running? Stockish 5.8 shouldn't hurt it.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Does PARK actually hold it from moving? If not the problem is something rearward of the trans. If it does hold it problem is in the trans. Could be broke input shaft. What motor are you running? Stockish 5.8 shouldn't hurt it.

Park does hold it. I'm running a new Ford Crate motor. The 302/5.0 that's rated at 340hp can't remember the try. off-hand....

Believe I might be screwed:cry: New to the Philly area and don't know any tranny shops I can trust or that someone was willing to vouch for em'????

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you're not opposed to taking it out yourself it might be an easy fix. What's the history of the trans?

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
I'm sure me and viper and a good ford repair manual in your hands could guide you on a removal and tear down of that c4, if you find the problem is the c4. once you tore it down and see how easy a c4 is to work on you may decide to rebuild it yourself and save $$$.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Are you SURE that it isnt the drive shaft? Mine did the exact same thing last summer. My first thought was the transfer case or transmission.