• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What, what, what the hell happened??

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Hey, somewhat back looking into this now that it's above sub zero in the garage.

I looked closely at the tranny pan and damn, it kinda' appears to have smooth dimples in front of that teardrop type of recessed area in the middle of the pan. Kind of like rolling dimples where something might have smacked in there half dozen times. I know, easiest thing to do is pull the damn thing and take a look, but what a mess. Its gonna' have to come out so will just do that when it is pulled. I was just wondering if by describing it to you tranny knowledgeable folks whether you have a better educated guess????

You need to drain it before you pull it
Otherwise all the fluid is gonna wind up on the floor anyway

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Here is the culprit

Ok, Took the tranny out yesterday, well Nick (Delconick) and Chris did,,,
This is the center shaft coming out of the front of the tranny. The shaft end that sheared off was in the tranny side not the converter side.
Oil was really pretty clean, seemed to be plenty of it. No metal shavings, filter screen was still clean.

It did not break from me standing on it from a dead stop. I was in my subdivision and was steadily throttling up when I was in higher RPM's (not stupid high) when it broke.......

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 44

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yep, that's broke. You will want to open it up still and checkout the splines in the forward clutch. It's common for the drum to crack there when something happens to the input shaft. You need to get all the pieces out too.

Attachments

• Bronco 024.jpg
    Bronco 024.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 27