• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's this dipstick?

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Alright dumb question time. Who can give me the correct answer quickest?
This is a 302 engine in a '67 bronco. Two dipsticks, one in front and the other on the side. The side (yellow arrow) is definitely the oil dipstick but little confused about the one (blue arrow) in front. I guess I could get under the vehicle and find out but hadn't. The vehicle has no power steering. The front dipstick was very short, but it looked like it broke off and doesn't reach down into whatever pan(?) it is. Any quick answers?

Attachments

• dipsticks.jpg
    dipsticks.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 71

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The whole engine, or at least the front timing cover has at one time been swapped in from another vehicle.
The broncos and four-wheel-drive trucks came with a dipstick in the oil pan on the passenger side. Passenger cars and 2 Wheel Dr. trucks got a different oil pan and the dipstick in the front Timing cover.
Just out of curiosity how does the front one read compared to the side one?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As Paul stated, the engine came from a car with a front dipstick. Had one like that 30 years ago. On mine, they read slightly different. It's what you get when parts from different vehicles are mixed together in a fairly low cost way.

OP
OP
sfaforester

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
The whole engine, or at least the front timing cover has at one time been swapped in from another vehicle.
The broncos and four-wheel-drive trucks came with a dipstick in the oil pan on the passenger side. Passenger cars and 2 Wheel Dr. trucks got a different oil pan and the dipstick in the front Timing cover.
Just out of curiosity how does the front one read compared to the side one?
The front dipstick is broke, I think the other piece might be further down in it. I bought another dipstick, had trouble getting it all the way in, but I came back with nothing on the full length dipstick.