• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

who is running AX15 between a 351w and a D20

kffain

Contributor
Loc.
Chatham
I am fixing to go hard a ground up 1971 U14 built, I have 351w bored and ready to build. leaning toward an AX15 traney what bell housing should I be looking to source? I do not currently have a bell housing and I have read where there is some controversy over the bell housing and flywheel to use with the 351w. Not sure if I want to go hydraulic or mechanical as I have not had much Experience with hydraulic clutches. Thanks for any help!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 351 makes no difference from a regular old 302. Everything is the same as far as mating the transmission, clutch, starter, etc.
So you can quit trying to find 351 specific stuff and just look for old 302 stuff.

66 bronco bl

351 with nv3550 love it all ford parts except presure plate very simmular to ax15

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
I am fixing to go hard a ground up 1971 U14 built, I have 351w bored and ready to build. leaning toward an AX15 traney what bell housing should I be looking to source? I do not currently have a bell housing and I have read where there is some controversy over the bell housing and flywheel to use with the 351w. Not sure if I want to go hydraulic or mechanical as I have not had much Experience with hydraulic clutches. Thanks for any help!
We put one in my brothers 1974 with a built 351W. It has held up well so far for the first two years of it being done. We went with stock mechanical linkage since we were using the stock bellhousing. As mentioned above, any standard 302/351W manual transmission bellhousing is correct.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Before you call any bellhousing a standard one, there are a handful of things. Not all small block ford bellhousings are the same. Some are for mechanical linkage, others hydraulic. Some are application specific, like a mustang T5. The bellhousing also has to match the tooth count for the starter. That is the bellhousing is what indexes the starter to match the size and thus tooth count. There are no adaptors, special starters, or any other fixes to getting the wrong bellhousing and flywheel size.

But a regular small block ford Bronco 3-speed manual transmission bellhousing is likely what you want. Maybe one of the 80s truck ones if you want hydraulic clutch? Rarely would anything from a car fit the larger truck/Bronco sized flywheel and clutch.

OP
OP
K

kffain

Contributor
Loc.
Chatham
Before you call any bellhousing a standard one, there are a handful of things. Not all small block ford bellhousings are the same. Some are for mechanical linkage, others hydraulic. Some are application specific, like a mustang T5. The bellhousing also has to match the tooth count for the starter. That is the bellhousing is what indexes the starter to match the size and thus tooth count. There are no adaptors, special starters, or any other fixes to getting the wrong bellhousing and flywheel size.

But a regular small block ford Bronco 3-speed manual transmission bellhousing is likely what you want. Maybe one of the 80s truck ones if you want hydraulic clutch? Rarely would anything from a car fit the larger truck/Bronco sized flywheel and clutch.

OP
OP
K

kffain

Contributor
Loc.
Chatham
Thanks guys for the help. Was thinking what I needed was truck small block housing, because I planing on a mechanical clutch. Thanks again

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I could be off, but I believe the engineering numbers that you’re looking for start with either a “C6T…” or a “D1T…” to start off the part number.
For example, a “D1TZ – 4077A“ would be what you’re looking for. Don’t quote that though, as I just made up the Z and 4077A parts, but the D1T should hold true.

Where the D or the C denote 70s or 60s decades respectively, and the T denotes Truck specific parts.
There could be other prefixes associated with bronco bell housings as well, but those are two that I’m fairly certain of.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In addition to what Paul noted above, those engineering dates only apply to when the part was designed or revised. If the part has had no changes for the next year, the engineering number doesn't change. I've installed parts that have a "B" in the engineering number (1950s) in an '84 Mustang. Same part was on 30+ years of being used. It was the rubber dust boot the automatic shifter poked through.

So don't get caught up thinking you have to have a D1 part for your '71.

As for the revisions, sometimes it is as simple as they wanted an extra boss cast in for a completely unrelated vehicle. But it is easier to just make the same part for everything. So a revision is issued. The part changes. But functionally it means nothing.