• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why don’t I have a double cardan rear drive shaft?

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
After looking at this thing over and over and re-measuring, I have determined that my actual aft pinion angle on the D20 is 1-1/2 degrees DOWN toward the rear end. Still an unacceptable angle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perhaps. But with a double-cardan shaft on the way, the angles no longer need to match each other. Rather the rear angle needs to point upward just below the imaginary centerline of the driveshaft once installed.
I would call it very hard to measure at this point, given that the shaft does not start to go down towards the rear end for a few inches aft of the transfer case yoke. Making it perhaps not impossible, but certainly mentally fiddly, to determine the proper angle and shim size if needed.
But it'll be cool to see how close your measurements are, or if they're right on the money once the new-to-you shaft arrives.
If that 6-degrees up-angle is relative to the ground, I'd agree that's a bit of a low angle and will need some raising before the new shaft is dialed in.

paul

armynavy17

Contributor
Not sure if it'll apply to you, but keep in mind shims can be installed either direction, adding to or subtracting from the angle of the pinion.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Not sure if it'll apply to you, but keep in mind shims can be installed either direction, adding to or subtracting from the angle of the pinion.

I was considering that. I’m beginning to think I won’t need them at all with the double cardan shaft. But we shall soon see!

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Perhaps. But with a double-cardan shaft on the way, the angles no longer need to match each other. Rather the rear angle needs to point upward just below the imaginary centerline of the driveshaft once installed.
I would call it very hard to measure at this point, given that the shaft does not start to go down towards the rear end for a few inches aft of the transfer case yoke. Making it perhaps not impossible, but certainly mentally fiddly, to determine the proper angle and shim size if needed.
But it'll be cool to see how close your measurements are, or if they're right on the money once the new-to-you shaft arrives.
If that 6-degrees up-angle is relative to the ground, I'd agree that's a bit of a low angle and will need some raising before the new shaft is dialed in.

paul

Now I need to order the correct yoke for the D20 Along with with a new seal so that new to me shaft will bolt right up (he says, filled with hope).