• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Alternator 3 wire harness

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
kouwell.
put it on some line btwn the alt and 'key on' line? "Start' key position & ?
Purchase what 'power' diode (I dont know amps from volts from ohms).
Thnx again, 'the team' might get this guy over the line (rather than an individual).

Last edited:
OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

No such thing unfortunately. A beefed up charge harness for a bronco is by definition a beefed up entire vehicle harness.
That’s because the alternator output runs up to the body, into the cabin, feeds all the accessories and the fuse panel, runs through the ammeter, then runs back out the firewall to charge the battery.
So there’s probably about 10 to 12 feet of that black wire and only about 12 inches of it are in the alternator-specific harness.

On that note, Centech states that their vehicle harness is capable of handling 100 amp alternators. But I would not equate that to saying that the original Ford wiring can handle that much. They use the same gauge wire, but in a different orientation. And the wire is new, not 40+ years old.

So you had the right idea. Just did not extend that enough into the rest of the system to work.
Sent you a PM

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
put it on some line btwn the alt and 'key on' line? "Start' key position & ?
Purchase what 'power' diode (I dont know amps from volts from ohms).
Thnx again, 'the team' might get this guy over the line (rather than an individual).
I don’t actually know all details and I’ve never done it. I just used the relay as ford intended and left it at that.
The original relay also acts as a really handy place to tie in all the other wires.

Getting into any more of the details and we should start another thread. And if anybody has links to all the other discussions about it including those who have experienced the problem, it’ll be good there and not get this one too far off track.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sent you a PM
Got it. The Aerostar alternator does sound like a good one. Unless someone knows different?
Don’t know if the Taurus version is “better” or just an alternative that is easier to find in the junkyard.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
good point, I never needed a continuity search on those things. Only glanced at schematics for this yr.

Yeah, I'm ready fora new thread (in Tech, not Chat). Thnx for ur indulgence Tampa, HTH.
This site was pretty rigid awhile back and folks woulda phrequed then, ppriciate it.

Y is areostar beddah? I need a small guy for that space...(db electric's? WH's?)

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

good point, I never needed a continuity search on those things. Only glanced at schematics for this yr.

Yeah, I'm ready fora new thread (in Tech, not Chat). Thnx for ur indulgence Tampa, HTH.
This site was pretty rigid awhile back and folks woulda phrequed then, ppriciate it.

Y is areostar beddah? I need a small guy for that space...(db electric's? WH's?)
I was originally looking for a source for a new harness and didn't realize a 76 harness would be so hard to find. So much useful info on this site that is extremely helpful... and appreciated