• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1st Time pulling engine

JEwing

I am completely new to this and just bought a 1975 bronco 302, 3 speed. It came with a rolling chasis that i have completely torn down had the axles redone and the frame powder coated. My next mission is to pull the 302 out of the bronco and mount it to the new frame. I have never done anything like this and need help! Are there any tricks to pulling it and what do i need to watch out for. Thanks for any advice!

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Unhook everything, chain it up the the hoist and lift it out.

I did mine alone with the tranny still connected. You can take the tires off and drop the front end if it helps get the assembly over the front clip.

Not hard at all....take your time and it's easy.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Popped my cherry pulling a 390FE out of a 69 Stang. Very tight fit and no room to work with......pucker factor was HIGH....lol

As Airbur said, unhook everything (I bagged and tagged as will as took a few pic's).

If not pulling the engine and tranny together, you wil need to move the engine forward to "unmate" the two. If you jsut jack up straight up, you will brake things.....

Take it slow and easy stopping to verify things aren't in a bind or still connected and left her out.

A load leveler is nice to have but not a have to have item.

Tim

OP
OP
J

JEwing

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Will update this weekend to let you know how it went.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Put all botls and any other hardware in labeled bags. Take pictures or video of stuff you think might be a challenge to put back together. Be patient and take your time.

Thebeas

Loc.
Camden, SC
Yep. Sounds bout right. You'll need a cherry picker, a good friend helps, and a couple beers seems to make it a little easier.... And pull that sucker out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 74

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your pulling the engine with the hood still on flipped up to the wingshield put a bungie on it so it can't flip forward. one wrong breeze and you would wish you tied it up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Automatic, unbolt the torque convertor from the flexplate. You want to leave the torque convertor in the transmission. Common mistake is to pull the convertor with the engine. Harder to do and more likely to damage it.

OP
OP
J

JEwing

Once again thanks for the info. Will post pics once I'm done. The chassis is setup for a 8. My suspension lift 3.5 inch wild horse system 7 just came in as well as front and rear disk brakes. My next few weekends will be busy.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Welcome!
Ready for some good fun times?

When the Bronco is in place and you're ready, deflate your front tires a bit when the hoist is hooked up and make sure the chain is as low to the top of the engine as possible so that there's no slack. Remember your typical hoist only lifts so high and you have to clear the core support with the lowest point on the motor.

Get a roll of larger plastic bags, scrap paper, a Sharpie, a paint pen and label each group of fasteners as you remove them. Example, radiator bolts, then make a knot in the bag and put the bags in a box. Since this is the first time to pull the engine, mark on the back of the bell housing numbers and label each bolt that connects the bell housing to the block with the correct number. They are different lengths and you don't want to hunt when your reinstall this in the future.

You'll need tools and if you need to purchase on a budget, Harbor Freight is your place. Check in the back page of most car magazines for a 20% off coupon, they print them monthly. Double check electrical, hoses, fuels lines are out of the way and plugged off. And if you need to keep your driveway clean get some cheap cat sand to absorb spills and to help traction if the concrete gets slippery from fluids.

Good luck and when you get frustrated take a break and read something on this site.
Chris
:cool:

PS Get a large bottle of Go-Jo Orange with pumice and an empty plastic mustard or honey squeeze bottle and a small soft bristle brush for your hands. My big bottle is in the bathroom, small bottle is filled and in the bushes near the garden hose. I also like disposable mechanics gloves from HF and put the key board portion of my lap top in a clear plastic bag to keep it clean. I often google search "how to's" and diagrams when I get stuck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JEwing

Thanks for all the help! It came out fairly easy. Now it's cleaning time!