• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Advice, trying to figure out all I did way back when...and what to do now!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Frt and rear WMS are appr 1/2'-1" difference with the rear being narrower.

If that fits, clears everything then I'd glue it in place right there!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, I’m trying to figure out my tires and wheels right now. Once they come I’ll verify all good from there. Speaking of wheels…why do sellers only show the 8.5” wheel for the early Bronco?

From my measurements, the -12 offset and 9” should fit better with a 12.5” wide 35” wide tire, but I could definitely be wrong. It looks like this setup with come out jus about a half inch more than these little 10.5” tires on here now and will go in 1.5” more as opposed to the 8.5” methods that will go in 2” more and out slightly less than current.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Man all this stuff is so time consuming to just decide what to do.

I might be able to get by using the brackets I have and the non-ebrake calipers that have been sitting for-ever--the e-brake ones are all corroded. Maybe ok, but likely not.

The positioning of the caliper isn't ideal either, but maybe ok for the no e-brake ones, but I'm also torn on the whole ebrake thing. While those ebrakes are better than nothing, it's my understanding that they suck.

Could go parking brake on the 9" like this:
...but I have a guard I'd have to take off, prob don't need it anyway.

Saw one that mounts on the D20, that's pretty cool.

Is anyone happy with their e-brake setup?

If I go with the caliper mount e-brake, I think I'd have to get new calipers and new brakets so might as well just go with a new kit!

The MBM kit looks decent and the rotor mounts on the outside like I want it to (Graveyard and Speedway sell it).

But I know I'd just regret the parking brake like everyone else seems to.

nvrstuk

Contributor
If you go with the disc on the output on a D20, 205, Atlas etc you need a LOT more pulling power than a hand ornfoot operated cable

Go with a hydr cylor electric actuatr to get enough pressure or it's a wa$te

Last edited:
OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
If you go with the discount on the output on a D20, 205, Atlas etc you need a LOT more pulling power than a hand ornfoot operated cable

Go with a hydr cylor electric actuatr to get enough pressure or it's a wa$te
That's exactly what I want...sounds like you've looked into this, have you seen an electric actuator setup for one?

nvrstuk

Contributor
I haven't bought the actuator but I talked with 4 guys who worked at different shops when researching who installed the rotor and not one of them said it holds even "slightly good"!

I asked them all if you put 2-5x the force if they thought they'd actually hold on a hill & all agreed.

Got one friend who uses hydraulics to actuate & his works fantastic.

I was going to use an electric actuator but I was swapping drivetrains & didnt do it (yet). I should be doing it now since I still don't have my block back from Ford Performance (4 months).

So no help other than it needs a LOT of clamping for hence the reason most car manufacturers use mini rear brake drums for ebrake on 4 wheel disc brake cars.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I haven't bought the actuator but I talked with 4 guys who worked at different shops when researching who installed the rotor and not one of them said it holds even "slightly good"!

I asked them all if you put 2-5x the force if they thought they'd actually hold on a hill & all agreed.

Got one friend who uses hydraulics to actuate & his works fantastic.

I was going to use an electric actuator but I was swapping drivetrains & didnt do it (yet). I should be doing it now since I still don't have my block back from Ford Performance (4 months).

So no help other than it needs a LOT of clamping for hence the reason most car manufacturers use mini rear brake drums for ebrake on 4 wheel disc brake cars.
I thought about that too, but heard the Explorer brake setup doesn’t work well on a bronco either. Any thoughts on the 9” driveline brake I posted above?

If you figure out the electric actuator for the d20 brake I’m in. Maybe it would work with the estopp? Not sure how strong that is but looks like it would be, but I’d rather have an e-caliper.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I thought about that too, but heard the Explorer brake setup doesn’t work well on a bronco either. Any thoughts on the 9” driveline brake I posted above?
There's one person on here that repeatedly states that the Explorer parking brake doesn't work - I haven't seen any evidence that he actually has an Explorer setup and has first-hand experience with them. Yes, the Explorer setup doesn't work as well regular drum e-brakes - that's obvious from the physics with a smaller diameter drum, smaller shoes, etc. However, it works reasonably well for what it is as long as it's adjusted correctly. I and others here have used it up to 35" tires with good results. I now have 33" tires and still use it. I 'wheel a lot in mountains and steep terrain so a parking brake is of utmost importance to me. In any case, it works far better than the Eldorado or old Lincoln calipers. The Explorer stuff would take some work, however, to work with your '76 big bearing rear end.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
There's one person on here that repeatedly states that the Explorer parking brake doesn't work - I haven't seen any evidence that he actually has an Explorer setup and has first-hand experience with them. Yes, the Explorer setup doesn't work as well regular drum e-brakes - that's obvious from the physics with a smaller diameter drum, smaller shoes, etc. However, it works reasonably well for what it is as long as it's adjusted correctly. I and others here have used it up to 35" tires with good results. I now have 33" tires and still use it. I 'wheel a lot in mountains and steep terrain so a parking brake is of utmost importance to me. In any case, it works far better than the Eldorado or old Lincoln calipers. The Explorer stuff would take some work, however, to work with your '76 big bearing rear end.

Todd Z.
Thanks Todd, appreciate that extra input. That solidifies my decision then to not go Eldorado e-brake and the the question is just what do I do…

Has anyone tried the 9” yolk version?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My mechanic put the electric actuator for the caddy calipers on a client's hot rod. Said it worked good as long as the calipers are adjusted correctly. That car had regular street tires on it. Not sure if the holding power is the same with a set of 35s.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
My mechanic put the electric actuator for the caddy calipers on a client's hot rod. Said it worked good as long as the calipers are adjusted correctly. That car had regular street tires on it. Not sure if the holding power is the same with a set of 35s.
Yeah, I just don’t want something that works well one day and then doesn’t the next. I like parking brakes….even though I’m running auto, I want one that works. I’ll need to figure that out, so please chime in anyone if you have any ideas.

And speaking of brakes, I had asked WH some questions about their Hydroboost kit and they emailed. Today I responded to that email and asked if they could do a line package with all lines for their Hydroboost and my front T-bird and rear Eldorado (I think mine are still Eldorado, just without the ebrake…I think they are front calipers).

Anyway. Not a cheap quote, but they had it all, which is great. Easier all from one place and all the same lines. I don’t want it pieced together. Even had the banjo bolts.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, I give up. I guess I'm gonna just do the Caddy rear brake setup and hope it's good enough. Matt at WH was a huge help as well...after the quote for lines and Hydo I got. Since I was going with their Moab Hydroboost and brake lines and they have their insane Moab Everything Hydroboost kit, everything made sense for me except the front brakes, since I have stock fronts, and he worked with me on that. Looks like a great kit if you need all disc.

So ditching whatever brake brackets I already have.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on this. If you haven't already purchased the Caddy setup, perhaps consider this:

https://www.mpbrakes.com/rear-brake...ar.asp?catid=646B217D1F4541E394671EE80CF7AC50

They only list it for the F-100s but it should fit just fine on your '76 big bearing rear end. Master Power Brakes used to sell the Caddy stuff but switched to different calipers a few years back. In doing some research, I figured out that they're using late model Mustang calipers now - the same style of calipers I have on my '12 Mustang. I can tell you that those caliper e-brakes WORK (with Mustang diameter tires, anyway). The only drawback I see is that you may have to machine the OD of your axle flanges for things to fit.

Just another option....

Todd Z.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on this. If you haven't already purchased the Caddy setup, perhaps consider this:

https://www.mpbrakes.com/rear-brake...ar.asp?catid=646B217D1F4541E394671EE80CF7AC50

They only list it for the F-100s but it should fit just fine on your '76 big bearing rear end. Master Power Brakes used to sell the Caddy stuff but switched to different calipers a few years back. In doing some research, I figured out that they're using late model Mustang calipers now - the same style of calipers I have on my '12 Mustang. I can tell you that those caliper e-brakes WORK (with Mustang diameter tires, anyway). The only drawback I see is that you may have to machine the OD of your axle flanges for things to fit.

Just another option....

Todd Z.
Yeah, I did order, but thanks. I might've gone that route otherwise and my axle flanges have already been machined from what I did years ago. I'll keep this on the backup list though since the WH kit is on backorder.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
FYI, if anyone needs new front hubs/rotors, or really anything, Napa has a sale right now. The assembled rotors with bearing are only $115 each and if you buy 3 things it’s 20% off everything, code on the site I think is SAVEMORE.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NB_4886297?impressionRank=1

Mine aren’t in dire need of replacement, but for the right price I’m replacing them.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA

Just another option....

Todd Z.
Todd, thanks for the suggestion on this setup. Since WH has been backordered on their rear setup, I’m going to give these a try. Just a heads-up for anyone else looking that the one you linked to is for the Old Style Large Bearing and they do have a kit for the New Style LB kit #DB1573BR that is not listed on their sire but I just ordered.

Nice that those calipers don’t need any brake adjusting.

Thanks!!!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd, thanks for the suggestion on this setup. Since WH has been backordered on their rear setup, I’m going to give these a try. Just a heads-up for anyone else looking that the one you linked to is for the Old Style Large Bearing and they do have a kit for the New Style LB kit #DB1573BR that is not listed on their sire but I just ordered.

Nice that those calipers don’t need any brake adjusting.

Thanks!!!
Excellent! Yeah, I had some conversations with their tech via email after our exchange above and he noted the setups they have that aren't on the website yet.

I think that you'll probably have to have the flanges on your axles turned down?

Please keep up posted on how it goes.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Excellent! Yeah, I had some conversations with their tech via email after our exchange above and he noted the setups they have that aren't on the website yet.

I think that you'll probably have to have the flanges on your axles turned down?

Please keep up posted on how it goes.

Todd Z.
Yeah, the axle turn-down was a + for me, since I did that so many years ago for the setup I made with Jeep rotors, I think.

I’ll post once it’s all on.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
MP Brake kit arrived today. The kit looks really caliper bracket is pretty sweet looking too. I’ll post some pics when I get it set up, but since the kit needs you to have no bearing retainer on the axle, I took my axles down the street for them to be removed and new bearings pressed on even though those bearings had never been used. They had sat for 24 years and not fully out together and some time outside so I at least thought about replacing anyway since I’m doing everything else.

I also thought about getting a press and doing myself. I’ve always wanted a press but seriously, I’m running out of space and that’s another wasted day or two getting and setting up the press. Might as well work on other things.

The Mustang calipers look really nice and seem painted silver, which looks great, but I’ve got everything black so painted those today.

I love how you don’t have to adjust the parking brake…don’t even need to use the parking brake and they’ll still work (although I plan to)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
MP Brake kit arrived today. The kit looks really caliper bracket is pretty sweet looking too. I’ll post some pics when I get it set up, but since the kit needs you to have no bearing retainer on the axle, I took my axles down the street for them to be removed and new bearings pressed on even though those bearings had never been used. They had sat for 24 years and not fully out together and some time outside so I at least thought about replacing anyway since I’m doing everything else.

I also thought about getting a press and doing myself. I’ve always wanted a press but seriously, I’m running out of space and that’s another wasted day or two getting and setting up the press. Might as well work on other things.

The Mustang calipers look really nice and seem painted silver, which looks great, but I’ve got everything black so painted those today.

I love how you don’t have to adjust the parking brake…don’t even need to use the parking brake and they’ll still work (although I plan to)
Glad to hear it arrived! One favor before you throw everything together - I'm really curious about the rotors they're using in the kit. I think they also have a 5x5 pattern on them so I'm guessing they're using them from another application (Chevy perhaps?). Could you get some basic measurements like rotor diameter, inside hat diameter, total rotor height, etc? That might help with the sleuthing on what the original application is - thanks!

Todd Z.