• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intake manifold

Contributor
Any tips on cleaning the inside of the cast iron intake manifold?
Also thinking about getting it powder coated black?
Thank you IMG_2930.jpeg

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
You could put it in one of those aluminum disposable trays and then fill it with carb cleaner until the carb bore is covered. If you want to go the powdercoat route you'll need to have it sandblasted.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The one carb passage I see looks pretty clean. If you want it cleaner, I would stat with a pressure washer. Maybe add in some strong degreaser agant.

If you are trying to clear the carbon out of the crossover/EGR passage. Propane torch, start cooking it. Air nozzle to fan the flames once the carbon lights off.

OP
OP

Contributor
Dropped it off at the powder coat shop this morning. Chose to have it coated a semi gloss black. I’ll post an update next week.

OP
OP

Contributor
They baked it and lightly sand blasted everything. Taped off the bottom and the top and coated it. Came out great! Will take the tape off when I go to install it so the metal stays in nice shape. IMG_2935.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks great. Did they tape off all the threaded holes as well?
And even if they didn’t tape off the non-threaded holes, check them for bolt fit before you try to install it. There’s probably enough leeway in the non-threaded holes, but powder can get pretty thick sometimes.
So it’s best to check.
But if they got powder in the threaded holes, you’ve got some work yet ahead of you.

OP
OP

Contributor
Looks great. Did they tape off all the threaded holes as well?
And even if they didn’t tape off the non-threaded holes, check them for bolt fit before you try to install it. There’s probably enough leeway in the non-threaded holes, but powder can get pretty thick sometimes.
So it’s best to check.
But if they got powder in the threaded holes, you’ve got some work yet ahead of you.

Yes all of the threaded holes were plugged before they coated it. Thank you for the response, always appreciate what you have to say it’s always very insightful helping everyone on the board.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Appreciate it.
I like how all the letters are so visible again, after a good cleaning and even after the coating. Sometimes they get the coating too thick and it "muffles" some of the finer details.

Paul

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That turned out great! Please share pics when you get it installed!