• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I pull a 3100 pound camper with my 75

MonsterBIlly

I have a 347 with htdroboost brakes. I am willing to put a anti swaybar on it. I have a hitch on my protofab bumper that may need to be beefed up a little.
But would it be cool? Im thinking about grabbing a trailer to tow to supercel from Az

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Will it pull? Yes.
Will it be safe? No.
You have the power, probably not the cooling.
The brake will feel good, until they don't. Hydroboost makes pressing the pedal easier, doesn't add capacity. When brakes fade, hydroboost won't help. It will easier to get into fade as well.
Narrow track, short wheelbase, high CG. None of that stuff is good for towing and can't be fixed. The narrow track and short wheelbase are great for manuvering a trailer around the yard, but not on the highway.

This is from someone who has worked with engineers that are part of the SAE J2807 trailer tow standards committee.

Don't do it.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
X2 don’t don’t do it. When I was young and dumb, (not so young but not much smarter now) I towed my 6000 lb bass boat with my stock eb. Oh sure it would pull it but it was SKETCHY!

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

I am wanting to get a teardrop trailer. I was wondering about 3100 because that is how much the larger ones are. What about something smaller. I do have disc all the way around, a larger radiator and trans cooler. Could I get away with 2k pounds?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Isn't it more about stability vs can it pull it? You don't want the trailer wagging the Bronco when a gust of wind hits it or say a big 18 wheeler passes you. Short wheel base and heavy trailers can end badly. That said, I've seen some really small cars pulling some heavy U-hauls before........

Tim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The factory towing capacity for EBs was 2000 lb. so keep that in mind if you're planning to tow something. We can upgrade brakes, cooling, engine power, etc. but like @Broncobowsher notes, you can't beat physics.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lift, oversized tires, soft suspension. The upgrades that most broncos get. All bad for towing. May have started at 2000#, and reduced from there.

I've done a couple of one time only towing what I shouldn't. Doesn't take much, to get really sketchy, really fast. I've had some really bad stuff with a single axle pickup bed trailer. Picking the roads carefully and only doing a 10 mile one way trip with zero highway. Never doing that again. Then do something different and find a different limitation.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My buddy wants to overland his EB with all this weight and I have explained to him the EB was not built for extra weight above the frame rails.
Two ways of learning, the easy way or life lessons.

Digger556

I have a 347 with htdroboost brakes. I am willing to put a anti swaybar on it. I have a hitch on my protofab bumper that may need to be beefed up a little.
But would it be cool? Im thinking about grabbing a trailer to tow to supercel from Az
What speeds will you be towing at? What type of camper? Hard side or popup?
Speed is a primary factor in trailer stability calculations.

A brake controller would be mandatory for that much weight.

It can be done if you understand what makes a trailer unstable and limit speeds/weights/etc according.
46324864392_43fd5e91ef_o.jpg

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
The factory towing capacity for EBs was 2000 lb. so keep that in mind if you're planning to tow something. We can upgrade brakes, cooling, engine power, etc. but like @Broncobowsher notes, you can't beat physics.

Todd Z.
Like I tell my flight training students, physics makes you fly, but it can kill you too if you don't obey its rules!

Drucifer

Contributor
ORF
Loc.
Santa Rosa
IMG_7177.jpeg We’ve got an Airstream Basecamp 16. Sits right at about 3K fully loaded that we tow all over the west. The keys to making it safe are a good brake controller, a good load leveling/ anti sway hitch and cooling upgrades. Oh. And have a BIG gas tank as it does not drink lightly.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've looked at the Basecamp as a small camper
Behind the Bronco, it looks huge.

I have a copy of a Popular Mechanics from the early 60's. I got it for the article on my boat. There is a another article on moving yourself with these new rental trailers that are now available nationwide. Little thing called U-Haul. A line that I remember was for towing speed. About 45MPH is a good speed while towing. That was the 1960s advise on towing. For decades U-haul had a reversed 45MPH max sticker on the fender so you could see it in your mirror. Only recently have they changed that to 55 MPH. What we do these days for towing is so much more severe than 60 years ago. I need to double check the SAE J2807 spec, but I think it requires maintaining 55 MPH(?) up a grade at max tow capacity. In the summer heat. This is what is expected these days. How stuff was built 60 years ago, not so much.

Look at tow rating for the US compared to europe. The US specs are generally a lot less.

Saw a retro motorweek where they were testing an F350 dually with the new 7.3 powerstroke. Figure that a 1-ton dually diesel is the peak of normal towing capacity, and it had a massive 10,000 pound tow rating. Few years ago the F150 could get a tow rating of 13,000+. This modern era of massive tow ratings has skewed peoples thoughts of what can be towed with what.

Digger556

View attachment 919757 We’ve got an Airstream Basecamp 16. Sits right at about 3K fully loaded that we tow all over the west. The keys to making it safe are a good brake controller, a good load leveling/ anti sway hitch and cooling upgrades. Oh. And have a BIG gas tank as it does not drink lightly.

Brother, you need a diesel engine. The R2.8 averaged a solid 17 mpg over a 300 mile trip towing my camper. Speeds hovered around 65mph. My 6.7 F250 hits 15mpg with the same trailer. I think the Bronco does better because its a smaller engine the the Bronco pushes the air out and around the camper better than the truck does.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Brother, you need a diesel engine. The R2.8 averaged a solid 17 mpg over a 300 mile trip towing my camper. Speeds hovered around 65mph. My 6.7 F250 hits 15mpg with the same trailer. I think the Bronco does better because its a smaller engine the the Bronco pushes the air out and around the camper better than the truck does.
Getting sidetracked here, but a camper shell on the truck can really help. Keeps the air from falling back into the bed and hitting the front of the trailer again.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What speeds will you be towing at? What type of camper? Hard side or popup?
Speed is a primary factor in trailer stability calculations.

A brake controller would be mandatory for that much weight.

It can be done if you understand what makes a trailer unstable and limit speeds/weights/etc according.
46324864392_43fd5e91ef_o.jpg
That pic is drool and calendar worthy!